Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susanlguzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 08:22 PM
    What is the legal rights of human ashes
    I just received my mother's ashes in the Urn. The urn was to be full and I only received about 1/4 of the ashes in the urn. My brother picked up all of the urn's, we had three, all the same size urn. The box was taped but it had two different type of type on the box. What would happen if my brother open my urn and took some of the ashes. Is there any legal recourse?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 08:25 PM

What was supposed to be put in each urn? Were Mom's ashes supposed to be divided up?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 07:42 AM

Agree with Wondergirl - what were your mother's written instructions concerning her ashes?

Who paid for the cremation?

In the event your brother did something he was not "allowed" to do you can sue for monetary damages only - and I don't see any.
    susanlguzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 07:46 AM
    Mom's ashes.
    Mom's ashes were to be divided up equally into three urn's and the left overs were to be placed in another urn that was purchased.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 07:54 AM

I don't understand what happened - are you saying that the ashes were not divided evenly, that one or two urns contained more ashes than the others? (This request was left by your mother in writing, right?)

What are your monetary damages - I don't see any and that is what you sue for.

Is this the result of some sort of family dispute?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 01:04 PM

I don't think brothers and sisters should get mad over who gets the most ashes. Your mother is gone, instead of fighting over ashes, grieve
    Together and help each other through this horrible time.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 03:13 PM

I wondered (being Wondergirl) what total quantity of ashes these siblings should expect to have received. Here's what Wikipedia says -- Contrary to popular belief, the cremated remains are not ashes in the usual sense, but rather dried bone fragments that have been pulverized, typically in a device called an electric cremated remains processor (or pulverization may be done by hand). This leaves the bone in a fine sand like texture and colour, able to be scattered without need for mixing with any foreign matter. Their weight is approximately 4 pounds (1.8 kg) for adult females and 6 pounds (2.7 kg) for adult males.

Along the way as I continued to research and wonder, I came across this amazing site --

Nadine Jarvis | projects

These sibs could have each had 80 pencils.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 03:35 PM

If the ashes are going to be scattered, why all the fuss? Wondergirl you really are a wonder! How in the world do you figure some of these things out? My husband reads some of these post and he agrees , there are some very intelligent people who really know their stuff. Blessings
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    If the ashes are going to be scattered, why all the fuss? Wondergirl you really are a wonder! How in the world do you figure some of these things out? My husband reads some of these post and he agrees , there are some very intelligent people who really know their stuff. Blessings
    I'm a Scorpio (a "detective," for whatever that's worth) and have been a librarian for 30+ years, so I've wondered a lot as I've researched reference questions, served patrons, and cataloged books. I'm also a professional counselor, so that takes me into all kinds of wondering.

Now I wonder how many pencils my cremains are equal to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 06:37 PM
    I would even hate to say things I have seen in some of the places that cremate people. Depending on the size of the urn why do you think it should be full??

If this was a regular urn it would be made for all of the ashes and should only be about 1/3 or 1/4 full.

And the probate court is the final rule on dispute over issues in the will. So if you want each to have to answer to this, you would have to file this in probate court

Also the "suppose to " was this in writing in the will, or merely her verbal wishes, that makes a big difference.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by susanlguzz View Post
    Mom's ashes were to be divided up equally into three urn's and the left overs were to be placed in another urn that was purchased.

Again - was this in writing, who paid for the cremation?

I don't think the crematorium measures out ashes by the tablespoonful. They "guess-timate" what the even portions are. That is difficult due to the bone fragments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human ashes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, My friend recently lost her partner and later he was cremated, his mother was still the 'next of kin', therefore she received the ashes. Then over a week later, the mother in law gave my friend half of the ashes to keep. The ashes look like gravel and not the powder that we expected....

Who has the legal rights to parents ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question requarding my fathers ashes. In 1999 my father passed away, At the time of his death he was not married. He had a live in girl friend of 12 years. I don't know if Philadelphia is a common law state or not. My dad had three daughters. Two from his first marriage and one from his...

What would human ashes compare to [ 3 Answers ]

What would human ashes lol like? Example: sand, gravel, powder?

Human Ashes Analysis [ 1 Answers ]

My father died recently and was cremated the two days after. Although he was relatively old (80 years) he was in good heath and his death was very unexpected. At the time we didn't think much of it... that is until we were told, by his wife, that he left a will with her as the main beneficiary. She...

View more questions Search