Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 08:15 AM
    If the CEL comes on and goes off normally, your car died because the distributor failed. This is why I harp about only getting a genuine Honda distributor housing. If your distributor dies on you in the left lane, going 70 mph, you may not make it to the right lane and live. I demand "military reliability" in my cars. I don't want them to let me down in a stressful situation or at an inopportune time.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 08:18 AM

Call this outfit and see what they would charge you for a genuine Honda distributor housing:

College Hills Honda Parts

They tend to have very good prices.
    kenhuth Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 03:32 PM

Ok so I went to the car and tried to start it, still only cranks nothing else. The CEL went on and off like normal. I pulled the plugs and no spark. I put the original distributor (the one with the bad bearings) back on and... it started! I was able to drive it back to the house (yay - no tow truck) before it started to act back up. When I got home, I let it idle and it took about 1/2 hr before it started to run rough and squeaking again. Can something be wrong when the engine starts warming up it's causing this? I'm going to put the new one back on and check it one more time just to make sure that the connections weren't loose. If it still doesn't work, I'll ask for a refund and hunt for an genuine from the salvage yards. I did email the company that I bought it from and this is what they wrote back -"Wow, that is really something. I haven't seen one of those come back in over 2 years. As a rule, we don't send out replacements without getting the original back first, but I think your best bet to get this done the fastest is to call our 1-800 number after 11:30 PST and talk to them about getting a replacement sent out preemptively. They'll probably just have you put a card on file so that they can charge you if you don't return the original."

I don't think that I can trust another one - I trust you more. Let me know if you have any thoughts about the news here. Thanks
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 06:20 PM

What's happening is that, when the bad bearing in the distributor gets hot, it starts to make noise, due to the lack of lubrication. Grease is soap (fatty acid) with oil--when the oil starts to break down, the bearing wears out. Honda distributors tend to last 50,000 to 100,000 miles. Once again, you can see that your problem is strictly distributor-related. Try to find a salvage Honda distributor that was pulled from a car with low mileage, with the same part no. as your original.
    kenhuth Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 07:03 PM

Yep, I'll try to find a good used one. Do know what part in the new distributor went bad since there is no spark or can it be many things?
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 07:05 PM

My guess is that there's a problem with the internal sensors. I have not seen problems with ICMs and coils.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 engine stalled and hard start after stop for refill (occasion [ 2 Answers ]

• I live in Owatonna, MN and work in Bayport/Stillwater, MN (92 miles each way) • I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX, V6 Coup. I bought it new. • I put in about 255,000 miles already (I was driving 99%) and intend to keep driving it until 500K miles • I still love the car and it is still like brand...

1995 Honda Civic Stalled [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new motor put into my 1995 Honda Civic 1.6 vtec. Last night while I was driving down the road it stalled and now I can't get it to crank back up. It seems as though it's not firing. I have new spark plugs, spark plug wire, distributor cap, rotor button. Any suggestions as to what I can...

89 civic lx started ran for a min then stalled now won't start [ 1 Answers ]

The car is parked in front of my job it was a cold day I went to warm up the car it started fine ran for a min. then stalled and does not restart tried boosting it from didnd help when I turn the key it makes the crancing noise but nothing happens just the gggggggggg noise plase help

94 civic stalled and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 94 Civic has stalled a couple of times and has a slight miss when it is idling.The exhaust has come apart and I was going to take it in this week to have it fixed and it stalled and will not start.It turns over fine and sounds like it could start.It has 122,000 miles on it and was purchased 2...

91' honda civic stalled while driving? [ 6 Answers ]

:( I was driving my 91' honda civic hatchback when it just stalled as I'm driving. I thought it might have been my battery so we put a new battery in but that wasn't it. It sounds like it's going to start but just doesn't fire up. I was told to check the ECU for the error codes but it only blinked...

View more questions Search