Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    faliDIY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Honeywell RTH 7400 Thermostat wiring for Heat Pump (Rheem)
    I am trying to hook up a Honeywell RTH 7400 Tstat to the existing Rheem HVAC in my house. Currently using Rheem thermostat that came with the house (non-programmeable, using mercury tubes). Heating is provided by a heat pump as well as Natural gas furnace for aux heating (besides the air conditioner for summer). This is the original system installed in the house when it was built 4 years ago. See details on current Rheem connections below. The proposed new connections using Honeywell RTH 7400 are also below with a link to the installation instructions.

The problem is the Blue wire in my current Rheem system. As noted in other postings as well, Rheem systems have separate O and B wires.

Common Thermostat Questions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/common-thermostat-questions-40771.html)
    B=reversing valve (heat pump) energizes on heat (mostly just Rheem/Ruud/Weatherking)
    O=reversing valve (heat pump) energizes on cool (Most all heat pumps)

In the Honeywell Tstat the O and B terminals are not separate. So what happens to the extra Blue wire? I doubt it can be left unconnected? Any help is very much appreciated. If the answer is that this Tstat cannot work with this HVAC system then that's OK too. I will return it and find one that does work. Any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Below are the details on current Rheem connections and the new Honeywell RTH 7400 Tstat.

Current connections of Rheem Tstat:

Wire ----> Connected to -> T-stat Terminal
    --------------------------------
    Green ---> Connected to -> G
    Red -----> Connected to -> R
    White ---> Connected to -> W2 and E
    Yellow --> Connected to -> Y
    Orange --> Connected to -> O
    Black ---> Connected to -> X
    Blue ----> Connected to -> B

Proposed connections using Honewell RTH 7400 Tstat

Wire ----> Connected to -> T-stat Terminal
    --------------------------------
    Green ---> Connected to -> G
    Red -----> Connected to -> R (jumper to Rc)
    White ---> Connected to -> Aux (jumper to E)
    Yellow --> Connected to -> Y
    Orange --> Connected to -> O/B
    Black ---> Connected to -> C
    Blue ----> Connected to -> ??

Honeywell RTH 7400 Installation Instructions (http://customer.honeywell.com/Techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-1900ES.pdf)
    Pages 10 & 12 for wiring reference. Pages 18 & 19 for System Setup of options 170, 180 and 190.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Rheem uses blue not orange, go into the installer set up and change it to reversing valve energizes on heat. Function 0190 set to 1. Also jumper Rc and Rw.
    faliDIY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 11:01 PM
    Thanks for the reply NorthernHeat.
    Are you saying that the Blue wire should be connected to O/B on the Honeywell Tstat and then leave the Orange wire disconnected? If that's the case then I can see now why function 190 should be set to 1.

Ok the next question may seem dumb... and that's because I don't understand the terminology and I am simply reversing the heat/cool concepts :)

Does that also mean that when summer arrives and I need to change the Tstat to "cool", I will need to change the wiring at that time and connect the Orange wire to O/B? And also switch function 190 to 0?

Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my Trane Weathertron tstat with a Honeywell RTH7400 prog one. I have a Trane heat pump with aux heat. I've been poring over these thread piece-mealing some info the follow is the result. The old wiring scheme: X2 - black O - orange G - green Y - yellow T - tan/brown R -...

Honeywell RTH 7000 Thermostat Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Honeywell thermostat (model T874C1000) and want to install a new Honeywell RTH7000. The old one had 2 mercury switches for the heat and one merc switch for the a/c. As the outside compressor indicates Heat Pump, I'm assuming I have a 2-stage heat pump system. The wiring...

Honeywell thermostat heat/cool in Rheem 2 stage furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell 1 Heat/1Cool thermostat (TH6110D1013) that I would like to use with a Rheem 2 stage gas heat furnace. I think it is possible but would I get the same benefits as having a thermostat with 2 heat/1 cool? Would I just connect the W terminal on the Thermostat to the W2 on the...

Honeywell rth 230B thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Need part no. and location of dealer for replacement filters, as my filter light is on. Also need instructions on replacing.

View more questions Search