Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitchengrout Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Can I use Grout Boost with Polyblend Grout
    Is it OK to use Grout Boost with Polyblend sanded grout. The grout package only mentions water as an addative.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Jan 31, 2010, 10:34 AM

I try to keep products from the same company together. It should work .
    It slows the curing time so as to add strength... if you spray it with water it will help also.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jan 31, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Hi,

No you shouldn't. The instructions clearly tells us to use only with "standard cement grout". Polyblend as well as most other grouts available already have an additive in them. A dry latex/polymer that only requires mixing with water. You'll have to search for a brand that does not have the latex in it.

Having said that, We have heard of several complaints with Grout Boost. Mainly with blotchy coloring. You may want to do a search on the product. I'd be afraid of it unless some one will guarantee good results and is willing for you to withhold a large chunk of cash for a period. No reason for anyone to agree to that. So, I would pass.

Jaz
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Jan 31, 2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks jaz... is polyblend a home depot line?. I thought(incorrectly) that you can use a latex add mix with all..
    Thanks for the info

Jan 31, 2010, 05:24 PM
    THANKS, BOTH. I used it before I had answers, so I'll let you know how it works out, both short and long-term. It mixed well and went on fine, so we'll see. I was using Oyster colered grout, so maybe the potential discoloration won't be much of an issue. Would have used epoxy, but the store was out and the grouting had to get done today so that the counters can go in Wednesday. Fingers crossed. I can't stand dirty gout lines--we won't tell my husband that I may have just made a mess of the kitchen floor! Kitchengrout.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Feb 1, 2010, 11:05 AM

I've used grout boost a few times when I wanted Tec's Accucolor XT series but would have to wait for a special order to arrive or if the color from tec's accucolor pallet was not made in the XT variety. I have had nothing but exceptional results. That being said, Boos tis made by Tec's parent company and the warranty from boost only covers the boost should their be a problem, their only limitation is to refund the cost of the liquid, not the replacement of the grout and the labor to do so and that adding anything but water to an already polymer modified grout kills the manufacturer's warranty (the exception being laticrete's 1776 additive with their sandard protland modified grouts or 4237 additive to make the grout into colord thnset for glass installations). However, when Boost refers to standard grouts, they are not referring to the limited number of unmodifed grouts on the market, they are referring to not adding it to the already "stain free/highly resistant" designer grouts on the market such as Tec's XT series, Custom's Prism, Mapei's Opticolor and Laticrete's Permacolor series of grouts.

I've used it once with polyblend charcoal with nothing short of perfect results, but once again, I am using my experience and judgement in that application and understand the ramifications of my decision upon the warranty provided from Custom and will stand behind my work should the product have an issue later on. Being the original tile was installed on Nobleseal TS with a latictrete thinset, Custom would only stand behind the grout for 1 year anyway. And I knew how I prepared everything, it's drive a tank on it proof.

Feb 2, 2010, 10:06 PM
    Thanks, Bljack. It's been 72 hours and the grout lines look great. They haven't been sealed yet, but have stood up to a fridge move (wheel tracks wiped up) and dog paws. Seem solid as a rock. No discoloration noted, so far, all is well!
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Feb 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    They haven't been sealed yet

And they won't be. You do not apply a sealer when you have used grout boost. Very important is to keep the installation dry for the first 10 days. If any cleaning is needed, use a dampened rag, no mopping or you will eliminate the effects of the expensive additive you used.

After 10 days of cure time, you can mop as normal.

The above statement is where most people have problems with grout cleanliness. When most people mop a tiled floor, they mop the floor, sometimes they leave it at that, some people wils also go over it with clean water to rinse it but either way, you will have clean tile and dirty grout joints.

Your mop water and even your rinse water will have dirt left in it no latter what you do. The grout joints are usually just below the tile surface , in plain with the pillowed edge of the tile and the dirt left in the slurry of the mop or rinse water dries in to grout lines, over time it builds up or with a traditional grout, soaks in and stains the top layer.

Whenever you clean your floor, throw a towel down and dry the floor right away. Whether you step on it and skate across the floor on it or push it around the floor with your mop or do it on your hands and knees, unless you dry it when done, you are just moving the dirt form the tile surface to an evenly distributed layer over the grout lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you grout tile using a special grout caulking gun? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy a special caulking gun that uses commercial tile grout? I have some 20" X 20" interior wall tile to grout and would like to avoid making a huge mess in my kitchen. This method, if available, would seem to be a good, clean solution. Ralph

How much grout do I need per sp ft [ 2 Answers ]

How much grout do I need per sq ft?

When to grout tile [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,I would like to know how long you have to wait to grout between tiles,thank,s

Cleaning Grout [ 7 Answers ]

I installed ceramic tile in a shower stall a few year ago, however I never sealed the grout. The grout in a few areas have an orange/brown staining. I tried many commercial cleaning products with no success. Any help would be appreciated. mol

View more questions Search