Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SP000KY Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 07:08 AM
    No access panel on my tub ,what can I do?
    We bought a house with Jacuzzi tub and when I turend it on the darn thing will not shut off unless we hit the breaker,it needs to be repaird,but the darn builder never put an accesspanel anywhere around the tub,the surround is not tiled just "drywalled" lookes like the might have caulked the dryeall up to the deck where the tile is? What do I need to do ,who repair this a plummer or will I need a contractor as well as a plummer?
    Do homeinprovement stores sell pannels? Once open I want to change the Faucet ,so it lookes like top front by faucet as well as entier front will need to be removed to gain access. Any sugestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 09:05 AM

Where is that switch that you use to turn it on? Do you have the manual? Jacuzzi.com :: Resources :: Customer Support :: Frequently Asked Questions

Jan 31, 2010, 09:22 AM
    No manual we bought the house 2 years ago it is 4 years old.
    This is a "rectangular tub with 10 jets ,all that is on one of the top corners is a Jacuzzi tag ,the "buttons " to operate are along the longer part of the tub and you just press the rubber like pushbutton in the middle to turn it on or off the other two are to control the force of the yets.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Jan 31, 2010, 05:50 PM

Is this a jetted bath tub?? The two are to control the force of the jets, they just turn to adjust the amount of air that mixes in with the jet water?

The one on/off button you push is a simple air button, attached to a mechanical air switch. Sounds like the air switch is bad, though there could be a hole in the button causing it to not push enough air to activate the switch. Usually this is a VERY simple repair... unless it was installed by a contractor that didn't consider the unit would ever need to be serviced (kind of like welding the hood shut on a car :-). You might check on the other sides of the walls (in a closet?) to see is there's an access panel there. There may also be access from under the house (if on the first floor).

The switch is usually located very near to, if not part of, the pump (you should be able to locate the pump by listening to it). If there's no access panel, it might be easiest to "put" one on the other side of the wall (out of the bathroom). Like a closet, or even an outside wall). It's typically cleaner looking and easier to install, rather than slightly remodeling the bathroom :-)

Feb 1, 2010, 06:01 AM

Yes it is exactly as you described.
    And the air button makes sense because I can push down and nothing happens were before it might take 3-5 pushes and it would shut of... now no matter nothing works... when I removed the top of the button I can see a small black "rubber" button and push it but no matter it would not shut of.
    Can this be fixed from the top?
    No access panel anywere there are only 2 open sided to the tub... top where faucet is and long front side where the bottons are on the unit.
    Lookes like I will need to take the long side of to get to it?what do you think?

Feb 1, 2010, 08:57 AM

It may be fixable from the top, may not. Depends on the what's causing the problem.

The "small black "rubber" button" is like a "balloon" that when pushed, forces air through a small piece of vinyl tubing, to a mechanical switch. Possible problems are, the black "rubber" button has a hole and is leaking, the small tube became disconnected from the button or switch, the tube has a hole in it (mouse chewed?), or the mechanical switch is bad. The button should be able to be pulled out from the top... if the tubing is long enough, it should come with it (if not, you're kind of screwed... nothing really lost though, as it already doesn't work). This would let you inspect the button for leaks. Also, you can gently blow through the tubing is see if you can detect a leak in it, or possible the bellows in the mechanical switch (either would required breaking into the wall to access the underside of the tub).

Feb 1, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Can I buy replacement parts at Lowe's or Home Depot and repair it myself from the top?
    Or will the front need to be torn of no matter what?
    It looks like the took some kind of drywall or plywood and attached it to the front and top side that was painted to match the wall color in the Bathroom (left top when standing in front of the tub) :/_____---___ (wall on the right with tile) the little attempt of a sketch is faucet and the small wall on bottom of tub,the front of the tub with the 3 buttons , so as you can see front left side as well as the "front" long side has this darn "wall" that appears to be caulked on to the tile on the surface. You think this can be removed and than reattached if I cut the caulking butting up to tiles surface, or is this entire wall usually clued because there sure as heck is not a single screw or nail to be seen?
    Thanks by the way for all your help wish you were here in PA... LOL

Feb 1, 2010, 11:31 AM

Doubtful Lowe's or Home Depot has the parts to fix the button, but any spa store should be able to order it for you.

Haven't a clue of your diagram, and without actual pictures I would even attempt to understand it. There really should be access to the pump and electrical controls under the tub, but contractors can do anything, especially when it comes to trying to save time and/or money.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 07:06 AM

Just my $.02, I would try to hear where the motor is located, or hear the air switch clicking, pull up out of tub and try blowing in tube, listen for the click. This way if you have to open the wall, you will be in the right area.
    Most air switches I see Are Mechanically latching and turn off power, and back on show be in the same state(Open or closed), when power is reapplied.

Feb 3, 2010, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Spa View Post
    Doubtful Lowe's or Home Depot has the parts to fix the button, but any spa store should be able to order it for you.

Haven't a clue of your diagram, and without actual pictures I would even attempt to understand it. There really should be access to the pump and electrical controls under the tub, but contractors can do anything, especially when it comes to trying to save time and/or money.
    Thanks for all your help,I finally went over the entire front panel and noticed what I thought to be a screw and sure enough the previous owners removed the small wood covers and puttied over all the screws ,I started to scrape all off them and than removed all the screws,I tested the hose which was fine and than decided it had to be the switch.
    I had a company come out to fix it... and after hours of searching we found the replacement part and $349.00 later... it is fixed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 06:33 AM

What was the problem?

Feb 3, 2010, 08:32 AM

The air switch was bad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service Panel - Access [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any way to install finish trim around the basement service panel? I'm refinishing a basement bedroom with wallboard. Along one wall are two closets with that gray service panel between them. What kind of access to the service panel is required and does anyone have any suggestions for...

Load Panel Access [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve read posts on this board about the required access clearance to the main load panel. My question is, unless I missed it in other posts :o , does the load panel door have to be readily accessible, or more specifically visible? My load panel is attached to the framing in what used to be the...

How do we remove access panel? [ 4 Answers ]

We have an odor in washer and want to access outer drum etc. It is a Kenmore 110. 82680100. The panel is solid in back with misc stuff sticking out. It does not appear to be easily opened. Can we get at it from top?

Bathtub Leak, No Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

After many false starts (misdiagnoses from plumbers supplied by our home warranty company), I've pinpointed that our upstairs bathtub leaks when draining from a bath. It will not leak with a shower or if you only put a small amount of water in the tub. I've read the other posts in the forums...

View more questions Search