Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:15 PM
    Going to Get Tested for Possible Skin Cancer. I Am Nervous About It!
    Hi, All!

Okay, I'm going to get a bit personal here...

I don't usually get this personal on an online site. But, I have some health issues for which I need some moral support.

One of them is possible skin cancer.

I know that the testing that I'll need to go through pales in comparison to what some of you have had to endure. At least a couple of our members have died within the past year because of health related issues. J_9 has had breast cancer and the surgeries for it. Nonetheless, it is my body, my health and my life.

I admit that I'm a pansy when it comes to needles and the knife of the surgeon.

The boils(?) on my nose have now become quite large. I have to do something about them.

My dad died of skin cancer complications in 1982. He was a mailman for 37 years and spent a lot of time out in the sun. I'm worried that I might have the same thing happening to me.

I have an appointment on February 4th to have a doctor take a sample for a biopsy. A friend who is a nurse will be with me.

Please forgive me for being such a pansy, but I'm really scared! This is not the only thing that's going on in my life and with my health for which I have fear...

Please do share, if you've had to go through something similar.

I appreciate your support!

Thanks!
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 30, 2010, 06:32 PM

That is scary! I just had skin cancer twice in the past year, but mine was basal cell. I think I have another spot of it on my leg too, so I understand being scared. My twin had a malignant melanoma a few months ago, and that is very scary.

My advice is, keep your eyes closed. Don't look around to see any needles or scalpels. Hold your friend's hand. Hope and pray that what ever it is, you can be treated in time to save your life.

When I went back, after the biopsy, I knew it was cancer as soon as I saw the doctor. He didn't look at me, he kept his face pointed down at my chart for too long. I knew then it was cancer. I was relieved that it was basal cell and he said it looked like they got it all.

I had one spot cut out and one spot treated with liquid nitrogen. It didn't hurt, but that's because I didn't look ;)

Good luck, and know that you are very brave to go have this biopsy.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:39 PM
    Thank you for your concern as well as condolense and empathy, thisisit!

It really bothers me!

If yours was basal cell, is that bad?

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 06:40 PM
    Clough... Everyone is a pansy when it comes to needles and surgery, you are not alone.

I've had over 20 surgeries, along with 6 months of chemo, and I'm still a pansy.

Honey, 1982 was a long time ago. There have been tremendous advances since then.

Sweetie, you need to be proactive in ALL of your health issues.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Clough...Everyone is a pansy when it comes to needles and surgery, you are not alone.

I've had over 20 surgeries, along with 6 months of chemo, and I'm still a pansy.

Honey, 1982 was a long time ago. There have been tremendous advances since then.

Sweetie, you need to be proactive in ALL of your health issues.
    Well, I'm trying, and I'm glad that you came along here! :)

I know that you've already been through one hell of a lot of things!

I'm just scared that it's going to be something really bad!
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Originally posted by thisisit

No, my basal cell cancer was not bad, compared to melanoma!
    Please do continue to post, thisisit!

I am concerned...

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Well, I'm trying, and I'm glad that you came along here! :)

I know that you've already been through one hell of a lot of things!

I'm just scared that it's going to be something really bad!
    It might be bad. But bad is all in how you look at it.

Was breast cancer bad? To you maybe, to me no. It's all a state of mind hun.

I'm here, by internet... phone etc, if you need an ear.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 08:05 AM

C, The worst thing I have done was thinking too much, it drove me crazy.

With my bipolar I sometimes just over analyze the symptoms,the feeling that I just won't get better.

To find inner piece and some form of serenity,I have to find acceptance.Accepting things as they are,allowing myself to feel the feelings and emotions,opening up to those that support me(Being a panzy, no,I say this is a good step into being a real human)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Hey clough,its OK to be scared,I had a cervical cancer scare some years ago,I received treatment,that was OK.

The worst part was receiving the news,and awaiting results,once I knew what I was dealing with I was better able to get my head around it.

You're a good man,and nice man,I've great time for you.

Your in my thoughts and prayers.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 08:21 AM

It is human nature to always expect the worse whenever we get tested for health issues. But more times than not, the outcome is usually far less than worst case scenario. As J_9 stated, the advances in medicine, and treatment, in the past twenty years or so, have made our lives longer, and more secure.

May God bless you and be by your side throughout whatever lies before you.

You are in our prayers, Clough. Remember that, and be strong.

Jan 31, 2010, 08:27 AM

Hi Clough, Often times not knowing is more worrisome than knowing. Have you done any research on what your skin lesion looks like? I was looking at some statistics on skin cancer and found that over a million people were diagnosed with skin cancer in 2008 but only 1,000 died from it. Here is a link you may not have seen yet: 5 Skin Cancer Signs and Symptoms You Cannot Afford to Overlook, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Even if you find out you have melanoma, the sooner you find out the better chance you have of complete cure. Here is a link on melanoma: Melanoma Treatment - The Skin Cancer Foundation

And I'll say it again, you are brave to go have the biopsy! You are doing the right thing.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    Hi Clough, Often times not knowing is more worrisome than knowing. Have you done any research on what your skin lesion looks like? I was looking at some statistics on skin cancer and found that over a million people were diagnosed with skin cancer in 2008 but only 1,000 died from it. Here is a link you may not have seen yet: 5 Skin Cancer Signs and Symptoms You Cannot Afford to Overlook, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Even if you find out you have melanoma, the sooner you find out the better chance you have of complete cure. Here is a link on melanoma: Melanoma Treatment - The Skin Cancer Foundation

And I'll say it again, you are brave to go have the biopsy! You are doing the right thing.
    I'll be sure to check out those sites! I've seen many images of skin cancer on the Internet. However, I've yet to find one that looks like mine!

What did yours look like, please?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2010, 01:08 PM

Mine was just like smooth skin colored mole, a little pinker than the rest of my skin, but it itched and sometimes would flake a little. Plus, it was growing. Sometimes when I would scratch it, it would bleed easily. That was on my collar bone area. I have another one just like it on my leg. I had another one on my cheek. That one was treated with liquid nitrogen twice, without biopsy. The dermatologist said it was skin cancer but not melanoma.

My twin's melanoma was black and dark brown and irregular shaped. It also itched and would bleed easily.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 01:26 PM
    Mine started as what would appear to be a very small cut, like an open wound. It took it at least a couple of years to grow. It would itch and hurt, (still does!), and I'd end up scratching it in my sleep! Many times, as it did continue to grow, I would wake up with a bloody mess on me nose!

Also, when I've left it alone and put Neosporine on it, it would appear to heal. But, never go away completely.

Now, it's about a half inch long with raised bumps that are kind of waxy in appearance and touch. I can actually see little capilaries in the biggest bump.

I've seen descriptions on the Internet that match what I have, however never any images that are like it.

Mine does flake some, but so does the rest of my face. I have very dry skin on my face.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 09:12 AM

I've had 3 rounds of basal cell - I'm very fair and spent a lot of time in the sun without sunscreen at one time. No lasting effects other than some slight scarring. I had mine removed by a Plastic Surgeon (no Dermatologist for me) and, aside from being somewhat frightened the first time because the Doctor had been watching the area (now the minute "something" looks unusual I'm at the Doctor asking for a biopsy) I've had no problems.

Yes, it's a scare, particularly when there's a family history.

Keeping you in my thoughts -
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2010, 02:47 PM

Hi Clough, looking various cancers up on the net, is not always a good thing, I recently had a bowel operation, which is still not concluded, but I literally frightened myself to extreme.

My daughter who is a theatre nurse did warn me not to go searching on these sights, but curiosity got the better of me and of course I did.

The operation wasn't to be recommended, but was not the horror picture that I had built in my own mind,the trouble is every time someone mentions the 'C' word we all panic.

My daughter has just had a wart removed from her arm by her doctor as a precaution, just in case,it had changed shape and colour,which also put me in state of panic,she on the other hand remained perfectly calm adding that there would be 3 monthly checks just to make sure everything was as it should be.

Every day she attends operations that include removal of tumours of all kinds which she states almost all are benign,many are removed as a precaution.

I am so glad that you have plucked up the courage to deal with this now, so many people leave things for fear of what they may be told,which I totally understand,I think we are all pansies regarding this issue.

I feel sure that everything will be fine and that once you have seen your doctor you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Think positive, try not to listen or read every horror story, we can all tell one but that doesn't necessarily mean your diagnoses will be the same.

Goodluck
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 07:40 AM

As your appointment is tomorrow I just wanted to wish you well and let you know your in my thoughts and prayers.

Ill cross fingers and toes too!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 09:04 AM

Agree with Redhed - especially in my thoughts today and tomorrow.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 11:05 AM
    I'm going to get cut, I'm going to get cut, I'm going to get cut, tomorrow!

Can you imagine the music to that? :p
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I'm gonna get cut, I'm gonna get cut, I'm gonna get cut, tomorrow!

Can you imagine the music to that?! :p
    Actually I just had an image of a bearded man running around the room screaming 'im going to get cut I'm going to get cut and then bumping into a wall.

Perhaps some zulus in the corner jumping up and down... for effect.

Don't panic,all will be well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blotchy skin when nervous [ 11 Answers ]

When I get nervous, mostly when in the spotlight, or at work trying to sell, my neck gets extremely blotchy and red. It is really effecting my confidence. I have heard of this with other people. Is there a way to treat this? I have a new sales position which will require some speaking in front...

Nervous about cancer. [ 4 Answers ]

My problem is that I occasionally get these lumps/growths in my armpits. They hurt when touched--which is rather inconvenient, seeing as keeping my arms in a relaxed position causes them to be agitated--but usually stop hurting two or three weeks later. It takes much longer for the actual growth to...

Skin cancer [ 1 Answers ]

How many types of skin cancer is there

Skin cancer [ 1 Answers ]

What are the side effects of "flourouracil?

Cacac cream for skin cancer [ 2 Answers ]

My doctor has prescribed carac cream for actinic keratosis. After reading about this cream, I am wondering if there isn't another solution. I have had other spots frozen off, on my face as well as my hands, and wonder if this would not be a faster solution. I am not looking forward to 2 months...

View more questions Search