Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emviet66 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Hi all, I am in ATL and got served 2 days ago by MB... so football guy, how does your story end? I've got a lawyer but she advised to come up with a settlement amount already - before we even answered the summons!! :confused:
    bigcowboy1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 08:15 PM
    It's been a while. When I last posted, it was April. Now it's the end of Sept. By the way, I filed a Chapter 13 which I'm paying at 100% and therefore am paying back what I owe. However, very interesting note. Got the list of who is getting my money, and niether Chase NOR Mann Bracken is on it. It's Roundup something, they bought that one, the Miejer one and a JC Penny one that I actually got a 1099 form for and don't owe, so they had to remove that one. So that's what happened. The benefit of filing Ch 13 is that I owed a lot of money, and there will be no interest accruing. I can get a house loan after 12 months with the trustee's permission. So it was a good decision all in all. How did your's turn out?

Sep 28, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Cowboy, so you filed bankruptcy and you STILL have to pay? Who told you that you can get a loan after 12 months? Where's footbal anyway...
    bigcowboy1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
    There's a difference between chapter 7 and chapter 13. In chapter 7, you get all your debts discharged. In chapter 13, you do a payback of either all or a percetage of your debts over 3-5 years. I'm doing the chapter 13 because I make too much money to do a chapter 7. There's a whole process to determine which one you qualify for. Since in a chapter 13 you are paying off debts, it's not frowned upon as much as a chapter 7 so there are lenders who will work with you. I think the court requires you to be in it at least a year to make sure that getting some more debt won't hurt your plan. If your mortgage would be similar to your rent, it should not be a problem. Also, if at any time during your Chapter 13 you either lose your job or income, you can convert it to a chapter 7. Chapter 13 is good for those who owe a lot of credit card debt because you can actually pay it off without all that interest accruing. I also have my car payment and my back taxes figured into it. After 5 years, I'll have no debt and no one can ever come after me for it.

Sep 28, 2007, 11:55 AM
    I didn't know all that about bankruptcy. Thanks for the info cowboy, but doyou know anything about MB?
    swapwap Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Why did you do a bankrupt? Make the jacka__ prove thsir case. It's very likely that have not proof and are just using the legal system to get what they want. Getting an attorney is worthless, they don't care about you. All they want is your money, just like the dame CAs. Fight for your right to due process. When the idiot judge, and there are a lot of them denys you of this, you can appeal and you WILL WIN. Due process is a right!! unfortunately only you care about it. Not the attoenies or judge whom sitts on a benching thinking he of she is god.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons to appear in court [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a summons to appear in court, this is for an outstanding credit card debt that is around 4 years old. I have tried to find out what the statute of limitations are in Colordo is, but am getting conflicting answers. Please help, and if possible, some examples I can site.

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Civil Summons [ 2 Answers ]

What is a civil summons?

Civil summons [ 2 Answers ]

HOw long does the deputy have to serve a civil summons? If there is a time limit, can it be reissued after the time limit is up? What if they don't have your current address or workplace info, what action could they take to find you?

Civil summons [ 11 Answers ]

What is the civil summons process?? How long does the deputy have to deliver the summons.? We hired a contractor to do a job and he didn't return to finish the job after receiving a draw. This is SC (( Columbia )) If our addresses turn up negative for delivery from the deputy what is the next...

View more questions Search