Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Gas meter
    We recently purchased a home ( Calgary Alberta Canada ) & the previous owner installed french doors directly above the gas meter.I think code here is no opening within 3' of the gas.Was wondering what my options are ( moving the door is not an option )

Thanks
    Rob
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 12:53 PM

Well, if that is the case the previous owner obviously didn't have a permit pulled or it would have been denied if the gas meter was not moved. Now you'll have to move the gas meter. It should not be as expensive as you think if you shop around for a plumber to do it for you.
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 03:18 PM

I would verify the code first. How high is the door above the meter? I would assume the meter is on the first floor and the door the second? The door may be high enough to satisfy code? Check with your local mechanical inspector
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks guy's
    I figured as much.
    I did talk to a plumber awhile back & he said the gas company would have to move it.If it's just a matter of having it moved I'm OK with that.To be honest I'm glad that the doors were put in though cause it makes all the difference for our new kitchen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas meter moves round when heating is off [ 2 Answers ]

Three months ago, my duel fuel went up by £30.00. I live alone. I have gas central heating and an electric shower and cooker. Since receiving the bill, I've only switched the gas on twice. I heat up the kettle for washing dishes. For the last few months, the water from my hot tap has been...

Ground wire to Gas Meter/Line? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pasadena, California. We are installing a 200 amp Electrical Panel between a friend and I, he has more knowledge of electrical wiring than I do but he told me that we were going to install two copper grounding rods six feet apart near the box and run a line to the water main and another...

Gas meter inside wall. [ 9 Answers ]

I have been living in this property for a few months, the utility company came over to read the gas meter and to our surprise it was nowhere to be found, I just realized that the gas meter is inside the wall. I would like for someone to tell me if there is a device that can help me locate the gas...

Goodman gas furnace.relight after turning off gas at meter? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, First time posting. Maintenance tech at local college. I'm working at home today though. I am relocating a gas line in the living room and need to turn the gas off at the meter. We have a Goodman gas furnance(duel fuel system)with electronic ignitnor. When I turn the gas to the house...

What is the avg. Gas p.s.I. From gas meter on the residentcial side of meter [ 2 Answers ]

What is the avg. gas p.s.I. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter. I think its 5 lbs. I live in Los Angeles, don't know if it changes from state to state.:eek:

View more questions Search