Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Waterbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Lump behind my ear
    Hi, I've had a lump behind my ear for over a month now, at first I thought it was a spot but it didn't go away and has started to get sore, it's the size of a pea. What should I do :confused:
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Does it hurt?

Have u considered visiting your GP?
    Waterbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Yes it is sore to touch, it wasn't at first but now is quite painful. I'm going to my gp on Friday but just thought I'd check out if anyone had any ideas to what it might be
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 07:31 AM
    I personally wouldn't know sorry.
    But I once heard when lump hurt they are not as scary as we think, its when the lump doesn't hurt its more serious.

But if our nurse J_9 is in the house she will definitley be able to give you a better answer than I can :)
    DrWood Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Baby,

Good thing you are going to your GP, I am sure they will sort it out for you.

What a lump or bump could be is difficult to determine without seeing it and touching it, and depends on where it is and it characteristics.

It could be an infective lesion such as a pimple or boil, it may be a skin lesion such as a skin tag, lipoma, dermoid cyst or sebbaceous cyst or it could be one of the lympth nodes behind the ear.

Painful post auricular nodes will usually be caused by infetion, either within the node or in the area the node drains i.e. the ear and temple skin, or by systemic inflammatory diseases - in which case there will be almost always be more than one lesion.

In some cases non painful lymphadenopathy is more serious and may indicate malignancy.

Hope it turns out to be worry free.

DrWood.
    LD3271 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWood
    Baby,

Good thing you are going to your GP, I am sure they will sort it out for you.

What a lump or bump could be is difficult to determine without seeing it and touching it, and depends on where it is and it characteristics.

It could be an infective lesion such as a pimple or boil, it may be a skin lesion such as a skin tag, lipoma, dermoid cyst or sebbaceous cyst or it could be one of the lympth nodes behind the ear.

Painful post auricular nodes will usually be caused by infetion, either within the node or in the area the node drains ie the ear and temple skin, or by systemic inflammatory diseases - in which case there will be almost always be more than one lesion.

In some cases non painful lymphadenopathy is more serious and may indicate malignancy.

Hope it turns out to be worry free.

DrWood.
    I also have lumps behind my right ear. I have had them for over 2 weeks now and they are very painful.(It is almost like a burning sensation).My Doctor is on vacation so I went to outpatients twice. They second time I was told it looked like a bite of some kind and was given Fucidin cream because he said it looked infected.I can't take this pain much longer and even my neck and up the back of my head has been too tender to even touch.Could this Doctor be wrong? Should I go back or wait until Monday when my Doctor comes back?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Behind Ear [ 2 Answers ]

Hello and thanks in advance, I have had a lump behind my ear for a long time now, over 2 years. I haven't noticed it grow significantly. I'm only 14 and it's seemed to grow as I grow so it's always in proportion. I just thought I'd check here for your expertise.

Lump behind my ear... I'm only 15 [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I also have a small lump behind my ear, I noticed it yesterday and it does hurt a bit when I move my ear, what could this be? I have never had me ear pierced or any other problems related to my ear. Any one know what it could be? Should I see my doctor?

Lump Behind Ear? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I have descovered that I have a bump behind my right ear. It wasn't there until few days ago when I noticed it. When I touch it, its hard but does not hurt. I don't know what it may be, can some one please tell me what it could be and if I need to see a doctor. Thanks

A Lump? [ 1 Answers ]

This is kind of awkward... but, recently I found that I have a small lump on the inside of my.. ehm... butt? I have no idea what it is and am concerned it might be a tumor. I'm hoping that I am just jumping to conclusions and worrying about nothing, but it's bothering me. It doesn't hurt, or itch,...

View more questions Search