Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsdyk Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
    H1 expired end-Dec;on EAD; I-140 1 yr old; changing jobs
    I'm trying to change jobs, and here is my situation:
    Second term of H1 (6 Yrs) expired Dec 31, 09. Working on EAD since Sept 08 but have not used AP to travel outside the country. Have a copy of I-9 from the current employer showing the switch to EAD. Have an approved I-140 for over 1 year.

The new employer is willing to sponsor H-1, here is my big concern: Can the new employer sponsor an H1 for me even if the previous one expired?

The new company attorney said that they can not apply for H-1 because the I-94 and H-1 (total 6 years quota) have expired, even though I have approved I-140 for over a year. Is this true? They said that they would have to go through new H-1B quota which is full by now.

Thank you very much for your response
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 09:21 PM

Your attorney is correct... H-1 or L-1 or both combined have limit of 6 years. If you don't apply for green card within this time frame, you're out.
    mrsdyk Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 30, 2010, 08:13 AM
    Ma'am/Sir, I am on EAD which, is obtained after you file for GC. My I-140 is a yr old- I filed for GC much before 6yrs. It'll help if you read the question completely before answering in air.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 01:02 PM

I said the same thing your attorney told you...

The answer is based on facts given, if you are not satisfied then go find another attorney. No need to be rude...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Had sex on dec 12th and dec 25th got light period dec 27th can I be pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

Had sex on dec 12th and dec 25th got a lot of cramps and light period dec 27th can I be pregnant

Changing the depth of the deep end of the pool [ 4 Answers ]

We have a in ground pool the deep end is 9ft. We would like to change that to 5ft. How do you suggest we do that. We would like to fill in the hopper 3-4 ft. What do we use to do this? Sand, dirt or both? How do we finish the floor. Cement or a combination of cement and something else? ...

Does changing jobs affect getting a mortgage? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently working in the customer service field and I will be getting my dental hygiene license and wanted to know if I switch to a job working as a dental hygienist will it affect me trying to get a mortgage in October when I will not have two years on the job history? I was told that it has...

View more questions Search