Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fixer12 Posts: 180, Reputation: 4

Jan 29, 2010, 05:19 PM
    What graphics card should I get?
    I am looking into getting a new dell desktop. I really want something I can play all new games on, and I will be majoring in computer science. I am wondering which type I should buy? On these desktops I can choose from

NVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

I am debating on getting either the geforce, or the Radeon 5770

Which do you think would be better for me buying? I do not want to spend a lot more on one if it is really not needed. Which one would work all games on the market right now? Thank you!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 05:51 PM

Ok, here goes the rant. Its not going to matter as far as graphics memory is concerned if you are going to be using Vista or Win7. In fact having too much ram on a video card can slow it down. Since Im not aware of what type of motherboard your getting you might want to try a different option. If your motherboard has SLI you could get 2 (512mb) 9800 gtx + cards for about $125 each. Even just one on its own with the right back up can play any game out there for today and then next few years. So mainly depending on your configuration and OS ( 32 bit or 64 bit ) that will tell you what to get. In vista or win7 the OS tries to add to whatever memory is on the card so be aware of that. Also be sure not to go cheap on the power supply for your system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graphics card [ 2 Answers ]

So if I wanted to get a new grahpics card and this is my computer HP Pavilion a6130n (Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3GB RAM, 400GB HDD, Vista Home Premium) specs and Desktop specifications - CNET Reviews What could I get?

Graphics Card [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to upgrade a laptop's graphics card?

Graphics card [ 12 Answers ]

Hey there! I have a Dell 5150 Series and was looking to update the graphics card, how ever I have a spare graphics card but it seems too big for the computer, is there any other sort of graphics card I could buy for my machine? :)

New Graphics Card [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9800pro. I want a new AGP graphics card with a good performance increase from this for about £100. PCI-E is out of the question so don't bother. Also the graphics on my MOBO is DDR, will other types of DDR such as DDR2 and DDR3 graphics cards work on this? The MOBO is an Abit V-10.

Need help with a new graphics card [ 4 Answers ]

OK the help I need is some generous soul to lend me $1999 for This Stonker !!!. I'll even time share it if you want ;)

View more questions Search