Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sylviaalexisnoa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 12:07 PM
    When a 1-month old infant has a cough
    My baby is 5- weeks old and he sneezes, has a runny and stuffy nose, and has a cough that seems to bother him. When I took him to the dr. she said that I can give him saline drops for his stuffy nose. She also checked his throat and said it was a little red, so she prescribed him amoxicillin for it. I've read online that a 5-week old baby is too young for medication, and that colds will clear up on their own. Am I right or is the Dr. right? Confused, please help.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2010, 12:47 PM

I'm a complete stranger,are you really going to trust what I say or a doctor!

Please don't risk your infants health by asking online for medical advice.

You could get a second medical opinion,however I would tend to trust the doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 12:50 PM
    The doctor is right. Amox can be prescribed to a kiddo this little. The dosage is based on weight. Heck, I give my babies in the nursery much stronger antibiotics than amox. We just have to calculate dosage on weight.
    cool33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 07:46 AM
    I don't understand why people bother to post on here telling others "why would you trust me" sometimes hearing what others have to say is good if you have nothing consturctive to say then be quiet
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cool33 View Post
    I dont understand why people bother to post on here telling others "why would you trust me" sometimes hearing what others have to say is good if you have nothing consturctive to say then be quiet
    When dealing with any medical issues in this case a small infant it is always better to seek professional medical attention.

Someone could say something that the op takes as gosple and unwittingly harms the baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8 Month Old Infant has Intermittent Vomiting [ 12 Answers ]

About 6 weeks ago my then 6 1/2 month old vomited in his sleep. It was not normal spitting up but total vomit. He threw up everything in his stomach and then dry heaved a few times until every bit of mucous was out. He cried a bit, I know it must have been painful. We bathed him, he became kind...

Month old baby has a stuffy nose and a cough [ 13 Answers ]

I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?:(

Cough and cold for 13 month old [ 4 Answers ]

What can I give my 13 month old daughter who weighs 28 pounds

Cough & Cold to my 6 month old child [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My son is six month old. He is suffering from heavy cold. We can feel congestion in his chest. Is there any cure without medication. As such we donot want to give him heavy medication dose.

Receipy of cough syrup for my 6 month old baby [ 1 Answers ]

I have 6 month old baby girl she suffer from cold & cough from last 2 week

View more questions Search