Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fellow Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
    First year choice, residents choice
    I saw a similar question, but since my situation is a little different, I would like to be sure please. I was on H1-B from 2005 to February 2008. I then switched to F1 and was on F1 until end September 2009, when I went back to H1-B. Under substantial presence test, I was a resident for 2008 (>31 days in 2008 + 1/3 of 365 in 2007 + 1/6 of 365 in 2006). For 2009, according to the information I get on this site, I can be a dual-status taxpayer if I make the First year choice and wait until I meet 183 days of presence, and since I am married can be considered a resident for the WHOLE of 2009 if I make another election for my wife and I to be treated as residents. Is this correct? My wife is on H4 and had no income in all the years we have been here. My question is then, with the first year choice and additional election, are we both then treated as residents for 2009 and file form 1040?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 04:11 AM

If you file resident return in 2008, file joint return as residents.

Jan 31, 2010, 10:34 AM

Thank you MukatA, but my situation changed in 2008, so just because I was a resident then, doesn't mean I'm a resident for 2009. The similar question I read was where Taxresearcher and ATE were debating about the first year choice and choice to be treated as a resident when married. My problem is that I was a resident but then became nonresident, because of change to F1. So if I changed back to F1, can I take first year choice if I was a resident in the year before?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 11:32 PM

You should forward this link to AtlantaTaxExpert and IntlTax for their comments.

My opinion, you can safely file resident tax return. Must pay FICA taxes even during F-1 and OPT.

Feb 4, 2010, 12:20 PM
    First year choice, was resident year before
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert and/or IntlTax, Mukata suggested I ask this question to you. I was a resident after being on an H1-B for 4 years. In Feb 2008 I changed to F1. Under the substantial presence test, for 2008, I was still a resident. I changed back to H1-B in October 2009. I am married and my wife has no income. So, we can wait to meet substantial presence test this year and take the first year choice and then make the further election to file as residents for the whole year. However, I want to know if I can make a first year choice if I was a resident the year before? Reading the publication 519 and the first year choice, I wasn't sure if it means I can't make this choice if I was a resident the year before. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 04:30 PM
    I agree with Mukat. You should file as a resident under Continuous Presence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Year Choice [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I arrived USA with-out family (on L-1A visa) on Aug-02-2009. My wife and two kids arrived on Oct-24-2009. My wife is Stay-home mom. I understand that I/We don't pass Substantial Presence Test (Only 152 days, counting from my arrival date) for 2009 therefore I'm treated as NRA for the...

First year choice [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We came to the US from The Netherlands in March 2007. We were dutch resident, but not nationals. My husband has an L1 visa, I have L2. We both have SSN. I don't had any income for the entire year. He had income until March from Holland and he paid taxes for that. Do we have to file his...

H1 under first year choice [ 3 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, My husband and I came to the US in Dec.2002 as F1 and F2. My husband got his H1B visa Oct 1.2006 and I am H4 visa holder. We had a baby last year and he is a US citizen. I still have not ITIN number. My question is: 1.Can we wait till early June to file jointly...

First year choice or not [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My status in 2006 is this: F1 to June, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B My wife held B1/B2 Visa in 2006, she stayed here from 8/1/2006 to 12/31/2006, this January, she changed the Visa to H4 In 2006, my tuition was about 16000 If I file as non-resident, I can not claim my tuition...

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

View more questions Search