Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muffy33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 09:34 AM
    Rights of a newborn baby can the father refuse to give the newborn back
    A teenage who is 17 just had a baby and the father who is 16 is trying to take the newborn who is 5 days old.Can he do that
    chocodrip Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jan 29, 2010, 10:25 AM

I do not know about the laws in your country but usually the mother gets to keep the child until the child is ready to choose or until he/she becomes sixteen. Besides the baby is very young and it needs to be with the mother.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 10:40 AM

So many issues, is the father listed on the birth certificate, if yes, he can legally have the child in his custody and the mother will have to go to court to get the child.

Assuming they are not living together, the mother needs to get a custody order though the courts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chocodrip View Post
    I do not know about the laws in your country but usually the mother gets to keep the child untill the child is ready to choose or untill he/she becomes sixteen. Besides the baby is very young and it needs to be with the mother.
    This may be the law in India where you are from, but its not generally the case. Also since this is the law forum, answers here should conform the statutory law, not emotion.

While most courts, worldwide, do give some preference to the mother and an infant, especially if breast feeding, its not a given.

Quote Originally Posted by muffy33 View Post
    A teenage who is 17 just had a baby and the father who is 16 is trying to take the newborn who is 5 days old.Can he do that
    The father can't just "take" the baby. But there is too much information left out to give an accurate answer here. The biggest key is whether the father is on the birth certificate. If he is then he currently has equal rights to the child. So if the mother lets him have the child for a visit he may not give it back, forcing the mother to go to court.

The mother needs to go to court to establish custody and child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Newborn baby father's rights [ 6 Answers ]

My 19 year old son got his now 18 year old girlfriend pregnant. She lived at our house up to the labor and delivery because her dad and mom weren't very understanding. Being young we were supportive only because we were happy she decided to have the baby. They were both very happy, with my son...

Newborn Baby [ 1 Answers ]

Mother s n hiding, baby due July 10th, has lost 2 already through courts, what do I do 2 establish dna, file charges 4 kidnapping, e.t.c?

Father of a newborn. Not allowed to see baby. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I'm looking for good advise, maybe even legal. I live in the State of Florida. My friend got his girlfriend pregnant they are only 18 years old, they are separated but he has always been there for her during the pregnancy. However, when the baby was born, no one called him to tell him...

My newborn baby [ 3 Answers ]

My child was born in December of 2007 can I file her on my 2007 taxes

My newborn baby [ 13 Answers ]

My 6 week old son has really bad gas and is constipated.Its hard to get him to sleep at night because the gas and constipation keeps him up... I give him gas medicine but he still has a lot of gas.What could I do about the gas and constipation?? :confused:

View more questions Search