Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 08:57 AM
    On faith
    Properly understood, faith is the humble acknowledgment that we do not know everything about anything. Or, to put it more plainly, faith is a rational inference (or a “belief”), drawn from a long history of prior human experience, which dictates that there is always more for us to learn on any given subject. Therefore, the only proper object of true faith, the only thing that one can ever properly have “faith in,” is the great unknown: we know there is more we do not know. It should go without saying that what is known requires no faith, and what is subject to faith is not known.

Thus, true faith, or knowing that you do not know, is the beginning of all wisdom. It is the very source of curiosity, inquiry, ingenuity, science and enlightenment. It is the reasoned conviction that there is more to the world than meets the eye, and that we are capable of understanding it. True faith is rational faith, questioning faith, the faith of Socrates who always delved deeper for answers, and the faith of scientists and philosophers who do the same today. Such faith compels the rational mind to hypothesize explanations for phenomena, and then test such hypotheses by experimentation and prudent observation. It gives us the confidence to discard or reshape those hypotheses which don’t withstand scrutiny, and to make solid theories of those that do.
    chocodrip Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jan 29, 2010, 10:31 AM

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for Faith [ 16 Answers ]

A few years ago, my husband (who was raised Presbyterian) and I started going to a local Methodist church. I was not raised in a religious home and have no real background with any religion. I've had a lot of great conversations with my husband's grandmother, who is a Christian and I feel that it...

Have a little faith in me [ 6 Answers ]

We keep getting into fights! Last night kept escalating until we broke up and then Decided to salvage what we had! I am always depressed and I don't know why? I never have faith in the Fact that he cares (we are long distance) and I never seem to be able Just to "have fun." He doesn't know...

Faith [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and I hope that I can get answers to some questions that I have and hope that I can answer some for you.

Dying faith [ 47 Answers ]

I used to be such a good christian... I prayed all the time, whenever I wasn't doing anything. I talked to God about everything that went on in my life. I avoided any situations where I would be tempted to sin. Then, everything just... stopped. I stopped caring if God listened to me... I stopped...

Faith [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on having faith? Faith to make it through a rough time? Faith that all will be well in the end? A scripture? Kind words? Anything? How do you cope? Please.

View more questions Search