Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Oysters
    Best oyster dish?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
    For me only raw, I am taking a chance on hepatis but I only eat at places where I know the owners buy what they think is safe.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 20, 2006, 08:54 PM
    The one that doesn't poison you! :) I love oysters, never eat them raw, though nevertheless, contracted the worst case of food poisoning of my life -- and I've had a few. Haven't touched them much since, but I usually eat them fried.
    Rick T Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Baked oysters rock, whether you top them with cheese, bacon, spinach or sundried tomatoes and cream.

Quick recipe-
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 cup cream
    8 ounces bacon chopped
    4 cups thinly sliced leeks
    1 cup finely chopped celery
    1 bay leaf
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons dry white wine
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

36 medium oysters, shucked,

1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add flour; whisk. Add cream slowly and whisk until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
    Sauté bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Save about 3 tablespoons bacon fat. Add leeks, celery, and cayenne to skillet and sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about 12 minutes. Add wine and cook until absorbed, about 15 seconds. Add cream mixture and bring to simmer. Stir until leek mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in bacon and cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Place 1 oyster on each of 36 oyster shells . Top oyster in each shell with 2 tablespoons leek mixture Place on rimmed baking sheet.

Preheat oven to 500°F. top each oyster with some breadcrumbs Bake until leek mixture bubbles and crumbs are golden, about 8 minutes.

Happy eating...
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Here's my favorite:
    1 small head lettuce (boston if you can find it) chopped fine @ 5 cups)
    1/2 lb chopped fine spinach (@3 1/2 c)
    1 c minced scallions ---1/2 c minced parsley
    2 3/4 c bread crumbs------1/4 c minced celery
    3 garlic cloves, minced-----1 c unslted butter
    2 tbsp anise flavored liqueur-----1 tbsp anchovy paste
    1/8 tsp cayenne-------12 slices lean bacon
    Salt and pepper------coarse salt-------lemon wedges
    36 lg oysters, reserve shells

Combine in bowl lettuce, spinach, scallions, 1/2 c breadcrumbs, parsley, celery and garlic. In skillet melt butter over medium heat, cook veggie mixture, stirring 1-2 minutes, till greens are wilted, stir in liqueur, anchovy paste, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste -chill mixture, covered for at least 1 hour. In another skiller cook bacon over medium heat till crisp, drain and crumble. Arrange 1 oyster in each shell, spread 1/2 of veggie mixture by heaping tsp onto oysters and sprinle bacon over it. Top the bacon with remaining veggie mixture and sprinkle each with 1 tbsp of remaining 2 1/4 c bread crumbs. Arrange oysters in a pan filled with coarse salt and bake them in the middle of a preheated 450 degree oven for 18-20 minutes till edges of oysters curl and bread crumbs are browned, garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.
    :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search