Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Uziel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 07:05 AM
    Paypal theft under 500
    Hello all, My daughter recently stole $275 from someone's paypal account and bought some ingame currency with the stolen money- We have yet heard anything from the police and I have removed her computer from her but I am curious as to what charges we may face in the future or if not to worry to heavily about the situation, She is 20 years old and we live in Ontario. This will be her first charge as an adult if there is one. I suppose what I'm looking for is what charges could be laid and if any jail time etc is to be expected. Thank you very much in advanced
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2010, 07:16 AM

Its theft if prosecuted. Since she is over 18 you face no charges, only her. Most likely, though she can get a diversion on a first offense.

Jan 28, 2010, 09:12 AM

What do you mean by diversion? Also in the case that doesn't happen will she be looking at jail time or possibly just a ticket or something like that.

Thanks again for the replys

Jan 28, 2010, 03:08 PM

There are dozens of threads in this forum about theft under 5000 that discuss the diversion option. Browse around.

As a first offense I doubt if she will do jail time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 03:34 PM

Many things can happen, and since it was done by computer, and may have been done from a person in another province, or even someone from another country, there are ( at least in the US) other Federal crimes that could be added in for various reasons)

Has the money been given back,

Is the person they money came from a friend ( or ex friend) of hers.

Jan 29, 2010, 09:22 AM
    The money has not been given back, and it was apparently one of her old friends whom she is longer friends with. The girl apparently does not know about it yet. How long would we have to wait until we can expect the police to contact us etc? It's been about a week now.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 10:10 AM

If you know the person that the money had been taken from why haven't you taken steps to return the money to them? You seem much more upset and concerned about your daughter being punished than the return of the money to the person it was stolen from.

Jan 29, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Have your daughter buy a money order for the amount and send it to the victim with a printed but unsigned apology. Include a suggestion that she change her Paypal password.

Hopefully she will not report it to the police.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 500 [ 8 Answers ]

I got a misdeamor citaion for theft under 500.I have no criminal record at all. I took 100 from a cash register at sears.I worked there.I got to book myself June 16.What is the worst that can happen to me?

Theft under 500 [ 3 Answers ]

I had some charges of theft under 500, ihad to plead guilty to two of them ,the other I pleaded nola too. Are these charges considered felonies? When I apply for a job and it asks if I have ever been convicted a felony,how should I answer this? Also,will this come up on a background check? Thank you

Theft 500 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the definition of theft 500 and is it a felony charge or misdimeander?

Theft under $500 [ 2 Answers ]

hi caught shoplifting in canada the value of the items are $220 .first time dumb thing to do . Have gotten a lawyer stated he going for diversion what are my chance. The told me he didn't arrest me because I have kids .

View more questions Search