Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xHypoCondriacx Posts: 118, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2010, 11:04 PM
    My Ears Feel Clogged Affect My Hearing!
    Ever since I was a boy, I have always had ear infection's. Maybe because of my mother whom smoked, I'm not that sure to be exact.

Long story short,
    I had this wicked ear infection building up for a while now. I finally went to the doctor, Told me I had an infection, Obviously

Prescribed me some vicodin, and ear drops, and amox pills.
    Vicodin because the infection was there for so long that it led to my jaw line on my left side swelling up, and hurting quite painful.

I was taking the drops on a strict schedule the first 3 days, drops at 8am, 12pm, 5pm, along with the pills, however I did recently fall of the schedule once again, so I am forced to redo it all, my ears still feel really clogged up.
    I'm frustrated and angry, because it affects my hearing 40%, I'm 5 feet away talking to my girlfriend, and can't understand a word, just hear mumbling, I'm afraid as hell, I'm 22 and don't want to be deaf, or wear a hearing aid.

I know something has to be done, and I'm afraid, the doctor I saw awhile back told me that there was most likely scar tissue in the ears from past infections that have built up, causing decreased hearing, so until it is removed, my hearing will be affected, and as time goes on it will only worsten, sounds like a death trip to me, I never did get that surgery, and its been maybe 6 years.

Now I would assume that I would be permanently deaf, but when I feel fluids gushing in my ear, sometimes it kind of pops, and my hearing gets extremely 100% better, and everything is loud to me.

I don't know what's going on, and I would like for anyone that can to help me, if surgery is the option, than that's what I got to do, I'm just so afraid of being put to sleep .

Also I have swimmers ear, and I don't think I can use any over the counter wax cleaners while I have an infection, plus if I have swimmers ear, won't that stuff affect my ear just for being a liquid substance?

Also when one ear gets better, the other gets infected, I just can't win this damn infection

Its all messed up for me right now, health wise, I never thought it would turn out like this, I don't know what to do.

Thanks for reading, people!

Its always been good for me to vent out on here, just look at my past treads- peace
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 28, 2010, 06:51 AM

Sometimes adults (as well as children)need tubes put into their ears to help drain the fluid. Have you seen an ENT doctor? Here is a link on Myringotomy: Adults and Myringotomy – Adults and Ear Eustachian Tubes Surgery
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 08:31 AM
    Firstly, you "fell off the wagon" which makes the medication virtually ineffective. You MUST take it according to directions for it to work properly. No excuses, set your alarm if you have to take your meds at night. Taking your meds is priority because situations like yours makes the bacteria resistant to antibiotics.

You can try to alternate benadryl and sudafed to help dry up the fluid behind your eardrum while you are taking your antibiotics and ear drops.
    xHypoCondriacx Posts: 118, Reputation: 3

Jan 30, 2010, 12:02 AM

Both your answers are somewhat helpful, I would still like to hear others opionion's as well, And as far as tube's go, I remember having those as a child, maybe I should request them? Is that how that work's.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 30, 2010, 10:57 AM
    You can get other people's opinion... however, I am a nurse. Mine isn't just opinion, but knowledge in this area. Closest thing to a doctor here.

The doc won't give you tubes unless you have these issues over and over, or if the issue remains despite all medical treatment.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 11:05 AM

My wife gets moisture in her inner ear and takes different things for it and the only thing I can tell you about it is that it takes up to two months for her ears to get where she can hear what is close to normal. So give it time and good luck on finding a way to solve your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged Feeling In Left Ear/Hearing Muffled [ 45 Answers ]

Hello, For the past several months I have experienced a clogged feeling in my left ear. As a result, hearing out of the affected ear is muffled. Also, when I am walking and I put pressure on my left foot, I hear a slight, muffled "pop" or "thht" sound in the ear. Sometimes when I am standing...

Why does my ear feel clogged, but it doesn't hurt. I also feel dizzy [ 11 Answers ]

Ok my husband woke up on Monday with his ear clogged, another thing he doesn't have any pain just ringing. It is Wednsday and all of a sudden today he started feeling dizzy. I am kind of worried. He went to the doctor today and she said that both of his ears looked good.

Can prescription drugs affect hearing? [ 7 Answers ]

This is really bizarre and difficult to explain, but here goes. Yesterday I was having stomach problems so I went to the doctor. While I was there, I was given four different types of drugs: Diciclomine, Rantidine, Promethazine, and TMP/SMX DS (antibiotic). I was also given an injection. The reason...

Can I use ear syringe if my ears is clogged [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to use ear syringe if my ears is clogged.

What does a clogged filter affect? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, It is common knowledge that as a filter (whether undersink or whole-house) gets closer to replacement time, the water flow is adversely affected. What I would like to know is, what exactly is the clogged filter affecting: the PRESSURE (i.e. if there would be a booster pump on the outlet...

View more questions Search