Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisdab Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Computer takes up to 5 minutes shutting down
    Hi, I have problems with my laptop shutting down quickly. If I click start>shut down, most of my time is spent waiting for the shutdown dialog box, the one which asks to restart-logoff-shutdown. My alternate is ctrl+alt+del and shut down from the menu there, but while I don't have to wait for the dialog box, it still takes time to turn off.

Any fixes?
    Chris
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 09:03 AM
    First thing to try is a little spring cleaning on the PC.

Scan the PC for spyware using tools like Ad-Aware and Spybot: S&D (links in sig). It might also be worth doing a disk defragment. This can be found in Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Defragmenter. With this you have to select your hard drive, analyse it and then defragment it if it suggests it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does your computer have what it takes ? [ 15 Answers ]

MS posts PC Vista-viability tool Can your box run the next version of Windows? MS posts PC Vista-viability tool | Reg Hardware Absolute Minimum spec is 800 Mhz CPU 512 Mb RAM

Computer Randomly Shutting Off [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I work with computers and networks on a regular basis, so I have a decent idea with what I am doing, but I am no professional. The PC I'm trying to work with randomly shuts down, usually only when in use, not when idle. The machine did have a worm on it, but the hard drive was...

Shutting Down Computer [ 2 Answers ]

?? After disconnecting from the internet, I cannot shut down the computer from the "start" button.  A gray box comes up - "Outlook HTML Menu - This program is not responding.  It maybe busy, waiting on a response from you, or it may have stopped running".  Clicking on "wait, end task, or close"...

Shutting down computer [ 2 Answers ]

Help! When attempting to shut down the computer via the "start" button, after being on the internet, a gray box comes up that says, "Outlook HTML Menu - this program is not responding. It maybe busy, waiting on a response form you, or it may have stopped running." Clicking on "wait, end task,...

View more questions Search