Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
    Creditor lost $1,000 payment
    Hi:

Im a little irritated today. As if these hospitals don't hound me enough as it is for a payment, I come to find out that a $1,000 payment that I sent in back in October seemed to have gotten "lost". We sent a money order, we called the money order place and they said that it was cashed.

That's a lot of money to loose. What rights do I have here? Or am I just screwed? When I called the bill collector today, they said that they are going to put the bill on hold for 30 days until the figure out what happened to it, but they sounded like if they can't find it they are going to expect me to pay it again.

Doctors doctors doctors... uuuaaghhh...

Licence to steal. Im in the wrong trade...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2006, 05:58 PM
    No, you have your receipt for the money order, get it in writing from the money order place it was cashed,

Send that to them, they have to credit it to your account.

Large payments, send it by mail they have to sign for

Nov 20, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Yea, I try to do so on big payments. However this payment was made by my wife when I was out of town. However she showed me the two $500 money order stubs.
    Hopefully they will find it and this won't have to go any further, Im just getting my ducks lined up.

Ahh Chuck... as you can see, Im trying to pay these bills over here! :)

You would think as much money as they charge, they would have a competent collection system. I guess when I actually paid a bill it made their head spin! (heh)
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 20, 2006, 07:31 PM
    I suggest you also find out not only that the money orders were cashed but by WHOM. The reason I mention this is that there might a chance the money orders were sent to the wrong hospital, doctor whomever they were intended for and that entitly cashed the money orders leaving the correct entity unpaid. I would want a copy of my money orders front and BACK.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Yes I had a issue last year, I went to a doctor and had out patient treatment in a clinic that doctor owned. I owed both, they were putting all my payments on the one bill but no credit on the other. And added a bunch of late charges on that bill.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Request a photocopy of the money orders, front and back. Most organizations use a stamp to endorse checks. Also, the photocopy should show the bank and account the money order was credited to.

You need to do this immediately. If the MOs were cashed illegally, you need to let the MO issuer know immediately. But if the MOs were deposited by the hospital then they have no further claim on you.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 21, 2006, 08:03 AM
    To add to the above posts, it would help if you found out where the money orders were cashed.

Nov 21, 2006, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentra
    To add to the above posts, it would help if you found out where the money orders were cashed.
    Well, we had called the money order place, they gave us the date is was cashed. Currently, we ran the money order numebrs to the creditor, they are researching.
    They will have a conclusion within 30 days.

I have informed them over the phone that re-billing us for this money will be contested. I mean, we're not talking about a $5 payment here.

In any event, I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the tips. Im not to worried about this, but when that woman said "well, if we can't find it, then I dont know what to tell you", got me a little concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda Del Sol maintenance 90,000 [ 3 Answers ]

Honda Del sol 93 - maintenance 90,000 Please let me know what items are necessary: 1. replace timing belt, they also want to replace water pump and add new drive belts - do I need to do all 3? (fee 550) 2. Valve clearance - I have heard that you can forget this unless you hear a rattle or...

Creditor refuses partial payment [ 4 Answers ]

If I send in a payment to a place I owe money to and they refuse to take it, what can I do if they say the want more money or they want it in full?

Theft Under 5,000 [ 5 Answers ]

So I pretty much rock, I'm 19 from BC canada- aprehended this evening for theft under 5,000. Its my first offence - I was picked up by the stores security - it was a USED shirt worth like 6 bucks ( using it for halloween didn't have any cash on me) security wrote up a bunch of paper work and...

Can a creditor garnish a bank account if there is a payment agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

A while back I asked a question for my friend who is disabled on social assistance, and was being bothered by creditors. Well, since that time, she has made arrangements with the creditors and is paying them $25 a month towards her debt, which is all she can afford with her low income. The...

15,000 layer digital painting [ 3 Answers ]

Check this out. Absolutely incredible!: Don't look too quick... this is NOT a photograph. http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm (be patient, it'll load slow) Be sure to scroll down to see the zooms.

View more questions Search