Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdyaUIMA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Fundraising auction items
    Scenario: I'm at a fundraiser and I place a winning bid on a piece of art. Is the amout of my bid deductable or is considered a purchase?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 11:46 AM

It's a purchase. When you receive something of value in exchange for your payment at a fund raiser, the charitable donation is the difference between what you paid and the value of good and services received. In this case, the value of the painting that you won is equal to what you bid for it, as the bidding process at an open auction is an excellent way of determining an item's fair market value.

Now here's a different sceanrio: if you were to bid $100 for a car wash being run by your church's youth group, you can make the case that the fair value of the wash is only $5 (assuming that's the prevailing price at the local commercial car wash in your area), and you have made a $95 charitable donaton.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal Fundraising [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has been dancing for 5 years now and as we all know it can be costly. She is on the competition team and there are extra expenses that we do through fundraising. The team has done well fundraising but there has been some fall out between parents. We know how parents can be at any...

Need a template on how to write a sponsorship proposal for a fundraising rug auction [ 1 Answers ]

This will be a first time rug auction fund raising event for a first time youth council organize from the TeecNosPos, Navajo Nation to host this event at an off reservation location at Farmington, New Mexico. The ABC2 (Al'chii ni Bi Chapter Council) youth council need rugs to be donated for the...

Fundraising Idea [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I am in the right spot, but oh well. See, here is my idea, I am getting rid of my POS car and I thought instead of simply sending it to the junk yard, I woul hold a fundraising thing. What I would do is have the car sit in an empty field, or empty parking lot, and charge like one...

Nonprofit fundraising [ 1 Answers ]

How does my parents association become non-profit in order to fundraise legally

View more questions Search