Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Strange use of ____ in 18th/19th Century literature
    It's nothing important but I thought last night when I read another instance of it "I wonder why they do that?" and as it's pretty hard to know what search term to use...

I've noticed before in 18th and 19th Century literature, that there's a strong use of ________ instead of people/place names.

Like in Pride and Prejudice, Austen will refer to "______shire" or "Colonel ______." for example. It's like she's used the lines in place of a name. I'm pretty sure I've noticed it in Poe too.

I'm just wondering why they did it? Was it to save coming up with a name for a character or place? Or is it something that was done at the publishing stage by the editor? :confused:

Like I say, it's not hugely important and doesn't detract from the book at all, I'm just interested. :D

<edit> Sorry, just realised this should probably be in Literature and not Writing but I'm not sure how to change it...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Hi, Kohoutek!

Did you post what is above, because it's an assignment that you have?

Thanks!
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Kohoutek!

Did you post what is above, because it's an assignment that you have?

Thanks!
    No, I'm just interested - I do a lot of reading and it's something I've come across a few times. It's just for my own interest really. Because it's quite tricky to Google search for, I thought I'd ask on here. :)
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 05:06 PM

It was to disguise the identity of the person they were writing about. It was very common to have utterly salicious gossip in newspapers, but they would not give actual names, just Lady A________ or Lord __________ People would know, but it made it harder for the victims to complain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life for a rich person in 19th century [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what life would be like for someone wealthy living in New York during the 19th century, the more detail the better! Please and thank you :)

Study of foreign languages in the 18th century [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a paper on Gulliver's Travels for university and I would appreciate if you could help me with this question: Did people in the 18th century give any importance to the learning of a foreign language? Was it a normal practice to learn a foreign language? I am particularly interested in...

Artist on 18th century painting [ 4 Answers ]

10203 10204Any help is appreciated! Thank-you

Mexican American in the Southwest 19th century [ 2 Answers ]

What changes took place in the southwest during the 19th century?

View more questions Search