Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camcgrath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 08:25 AM
    501c3 rules
    Is it legal for a 501c3 to have a fund raiser solely for the purpose of making a donation to a different 501c3?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 09:33 AM

Yes - this happens all the time. However, I would recommend that you do this only if the purpose is reasonably consistent with your mission, or you will potentially confuse or alienate your constituents, and with board approval. For example: a church raising funds on behalf of the Red Cross for relief in Haiti makes sense. But that same church raising money on behalf of Planned Parenthood may not. In any event - be sure that you are open about who the money is going to, and why it's appropriate for your 501c(3) to be doing this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rules regulations for 501c3 organizations [ 7 Answers ]

Would a non profit organization (501c3) be in violation if, the organization participated in an internet travel business as a fundraiser, and at the same time, members of the same organization would also earn personal funds?

501c3 rules [ 2 Answers ]

Under 501c3 - What are the guidelines for giving a monetary gift to a family in Financial Need? What if one of the family is a board member?

501c3 rules membership [ 1 Answers ]

Among our other work, our organization has an online news, information and analysis website that covers the education arena. We would like to launch a membership drive to raise funds to support that site. Are their any restrictions around using the term "membership" to raise funds; and are we...

Site:askmehelpdesk.com 501c3 rules [ 1 Answers ]

What portion of 501c3's income must be donated to charitable organizations?

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Rahfeki Brown the questioned I have is can I file my 501c3 on my own don't want to pay the 400.00 dollars to someone else if I can do it myself

View more questions Search