Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elbee Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Programmable Thermostat, Fan runs, Heat/Air do not run in Auto setting
    I am installing a Honeywell, RTH230B.

My connections are:
    R to Rh (red jumper to Rc that came with the unit)
    W to W
    Y to Y
    G to G
    B to nothing

The fan comes on (when set to "on").

When set to auto (and program the temperature way up or way down), the heating/cooling/fan do not respond.

I have tried the J2 Jumper at both settings, just in case, with no change.

Is the unit bad or am I doing something wrong?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Connect R and W at the thermostat, did the furnace start?

Nov 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Of course, you posted right after I re-connected the old one... I won't be able to try again until tomorrow afternoon. If I connect R and W, and the furnace doesn't start, what does that mean? If it does, what does that mean?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2006, 04:07 PM
    It means you have a problem most likely in the furnace. If it doesn't work by jumping them at the stat, try it on R + W @ the furnace if it then starts you have a bad stat wire. Please becarefull around electricity. Note: there should be a safety door switch on the blower compartment that must be depressed for the furnace to operate.

Nov 21, 2006, 02:19 PM
    I came home to work on this, and read your post. I don't think there could be a problem with the furnace or the wires, because the old thermostat works. If I have it wired correctly, it must be the new thermostat.

My old thermostat is wired:
    R-R
    G-G
    Y-Y
    W-W
    B-empty
    O-empty.

There is a blue wire from the wall, which was not connected to the old and I did not connect to the new. There is not an orange wire. I posted the connections I made on the new thermostat previously.

If there's something else I could try (other than buying a new thermostat), please let me know.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 02:45 PM
    You wired it correctly from what you have said. It is either a bad stat or the furnace has a problem. Did you try to connect r-w at the stat?

Nov 21, 2006, 02:48 PM
    I haven't done that, because I know it's not the furnace. Now, however, I realize what you mean by "stat wire" (I was thinking that was a name for one of the wires, not part of the thermostat.). I'll try now.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Good luck

Nov 21, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Okay--I get nothing. But without the green connected can the fan run at all? Or should I be looking instead of listening?
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2006, 03:20 PM
    R to G will turn on the blower. R to W will start the heating process. Are to Y will turn on the outdoor A/C. The fan is controlled by the furnace for heat, not the thermostat. The G wire does control the fan in most furnaces for A/C though.

Dec 4, 2006, 06:53 PM
    I wrote to Honeywell about the problem, and am posting their response:

Based on the information you have provided, the RTH230B is wired correctly. Please make sure the J2 jumper is set to the HG position (default position). If the heating does not come on, please follow the steps given below:

· Put the system switch to heat and the fan switch to auto.

· Make sure the heating set point is higher then the room temperature.

· The thermostat will make a call for heat indicated by the flame icon in the display. When the flame icon appears in the display, the heating should come on.

· The wires connected to the thermostat should be tight and secure.

· The furnace door should be tightly shut.

· Make sure the power switch at the heating equipment is on. Reset the circuit breakers.

If the flame icon in the display is steady, it is advisable to have the voltage going into the thermostat checked through a licensed HVAC contractor. The RTH230B needs a steady voltage of 24 to 30 VAC to operate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heat Vent Fan runs constantly [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 75 Gallon Natural Gas State Select Water Heater. Model # PR675NRVTZ. It has a fan on top that vents the gas to the outside. Normally, this fan only runs when the water is being heated. Now, the fan runs constantly eben when the water is not being heated. I do not have the wiring diagram,...

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

How to make fan run auto [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to browse the website, trying to find out how to wire my t-stat so that it will run on auto.. I have 24v transformer, red, and white, and I connected it to the back of my t-stat, the fan turns on only when it turn the t-stat switch to heat no auto or on function. however...

Thermostat on Heat and Auto fan but fan is not on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This just started happening. I have a dual zone thermostat. The thermostat downstairs seems to turn on. I set the desired temp at 72 but it does not get any warmer then 67. The thermostat upstairs... I set it on auto but the fan does not run. If I set it on Fan, cold air blows out. ...

Programmable Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me here. I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat that was installed by a professional about a year ago. About 3 days ago, the thermostat stopped maintaining a temperature and began dropping. The thermostat is showing HEAT on the display, however, no heat...

View more questions Search