Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaniceB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 07:41 AM
    How to I determine the current assets when all I have is total assets and ratios
    The current asset section of the balance sheet consists of cash, marketable securities, accounts receivables, and inventories. The December 31 balance sheet revealed the following:
    Inventories $ 840,000
    Total Assets $2,800,000
    Current Ratio 2.25
    Acid-Test Ratio 1.2
    Debt to Equity Ratio 1.8
    I need to determine the following balance sheet items:
    1. Current Assets
    2. Shareholders’ Equity
    3. Noncurrent Assets
    4. Long-Term liabilities
    I do not know where to begin. Do I begin by trying to determine the current assets? Can help anyone point in the right direction to start?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jan 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
    You're correct... solving for Current Assets would be a good jumping-off point. I'll get the ball teed up for you, and then you can take the swings.

Let's let CA, CL, and I stand for Current Assets, Current Liabilities, and Inventory, respectively. You're given two pieces of info, the Current Ratio and the Acid Test Ratio...

Current Ratio = = 2.25

and Acid Test Ratio = = 1.2

Substituting in our known value of I, you end up with two equations and two unknowns...

2.25(CL) = CA
    1.20(CL) = CA - 840,000

Solve that to determine Current Assets and Current Liabilities. (One approach: Deduct the second equation from the first, which immediately eliminates CA. Solve for CL, and use that CL amount in either of the equations to determine CA.)

Now that you know what Current Assets are, and you're given Total Assets, then the solution for Noncurrent Assets (#3) is a piece o' cake.

Next, you're given that Debt/Equity is 1.8, which means that Debt is 1.8 times Equity, or D = 1.8E. We're going to use this new expression for "D" next.

You're also given that Total Assets is $2.8M. Remember that total assets just equals Debt plus Equity. Putting it together, you've got...

Total assets = D + E = 1.8E + E = 2.8E = $2,800,000.

That tells you right away that Equity must be?

And then to wrap it up, by knowing Equity, you can quickly determine Total Debt. And since you already figured out Current Debt above, Long-Term Debt (#4) is readily determined.

Cheers!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 07:20 PM

Wow, I have seen this problem SOOO many times in my real work over the last week. I think I have the whole thing memorized.

I have to wonder if this is really an accounting class or algebra. Takes some pretty good math analysis ability to solve this one. I'll never comprehend why they do this in problems.

(Sorry - just commentary. :-))
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jan 27, 2010, 06:40 AM
    Roger that, M3. It ain't exactly an everyday thing, having to recreate a full balance sheet from the scraps of a partial one.

There are two possible benefits that I can fathom as to why these kinds of problems are given:

Using ratios in a nonstandard way (as tools to help find missing balance sheet pieces) might help students increase their fluency with the ratios themselves.

Also, it seems that a problem like this might help one's mind get wrapped around how the various sections, parts, and subparts of a balance sheet all fit together.

I don't know... just some thoughts at random. Have a great one!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 11:15 PM

Working with students for 15 years, I can pretty much guarantee you that they aren't getting that out of doing this. Mostly just frustration. I see lot of "projects" with ratios and it ends up being more of a plug-n-chug event, with little to no learning. They get done and have no clue what it was about.

I guess that's why it bothers me so much. Better left for finance, where they get into it more indepth. But they never ask my opinion. ;)
    JaniceB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2010, 07:28 AM

Thank you all very much for your help.
    Odom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Most decisions made by management impact the ratios analysts use to evaluate performance Indicate by letter whether each of the each of the actions listed below will immediately increase (I) decrease (D), or have no effect (N) on the ratios shown. Assume each ratio is less than 1.0 before the action is taken.
    Issuance of long-term bonds
    Issuance of short-term notes
    Payment of accounts payable
    Purchase of inventory on account
    Purchase of inventory for cash
    Purchase of 31uipment with a 4 year note
    Retirement of bonds
    Sale of common stock
    Write-off of obsolete inventory
    Purchase of short-term investment for cash
    Decision to refinance on a long-term basis some currently maturing debt

How do you calculate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Total current assets [ 5 Answers ]

How do you compute 1. Current assets. 2. Long-term assets. 3. Current liabilities. 4. Long-term liabilities. 5. Stockholders' equity. In my balance shee I have four entries. Land, Cash, Building, Accounts payable, Notes Payable (short terms) and equipment, capital stock, retained...

How do I compute total current assets [ 3 Answers ]

Having the following information, how do I compute total current assets. Land $ 9,000 Machinery 1,100 Accounts payable 1,750 Cash 400

I want to figure out how to calculate current ratio and total assets. [ 1 Answers ]

Operating Revenues Patient revenues Less: Allowance for doubtful accounts Equals Net patient revenues Other Income: Investments Misc Total Operating Revenue Operating expenses:

Total current assets [ 1 Answers ]

Total current assets

Is patents ( Intangible assets) added in total assets on balance sheet [ 2 Answers ]

Is the patents (Intangible assest)amount added to the current assets amount on a balance sheet. Help Thanks

View more questions Search