Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queenkatiemarie Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
    It was a gift now he wants me to take it back
    I met his guy online who has a good bit of money, didn't know it at first.
    We never met in person and one day when I stopped emailing him because my computer was out he kept INSISTING that he buy me a macbook, he even arranged the place and talked to the manager about making sure I got any extra items I wanted and to make sure I got a 15in apple mac book pr with 3 years apple care.
    Cost came out to 2250.
    I told him after I went and picked up the item that I felt it was too much, he then said to take the gift because I deserved it.
    Now three days later he wants me to take it back or he said he would call the cops.
    What am I to do? He kept insisting it was a gift
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 07:53 PM

Then keep it, if it was a gift,
    1. I assume you have emails telling you it was a gift

2. the clerk in the store, how was it arranged , did he know it was a gift.

And at the end of the day, why the change of mind ?

Jan 25, 2010, 08:29 PM

Yes I have several emails where he says he wants me to have this as a gift. He lives in Canada and I'm in Georgia. He revealed to me that he was a dentist after we started talking. He arranged EVERYTHING with the store even gave me the name of the guy to ask for. Once I got to the store the guy (manager) procedded to tell me that he had been talking over email and phone with this guy and he was insisting I get the best. He asked the guy to explain how the macbooks worked and all.
    When I got to the counter the manager procedded to also add the applecare warranty for three years which was another 349. He said that he was told to add it no matter what I said. The manager didn't ask for any information not even my drivers license. All he needed was my name.
    When I got back I still told him a few times that I thought this was too much. I asked him if I should return it, he said it's a gift you deserve it, he then said it's your take it back or keep it. Just accept the gift...
    Then today I get several phone calls from the manager. He stated that the Doc had sent him my photo and asked if it was me. He said the girl in the photo he sent was not me. Confused, I emailed him and he stated that he had changed his mind and to return the laptop or he would call the cops or the manager would.
    Now the manager is asking me to fax him a copy of my license (not sure why) he then said he would even come pick it up, which is an hour drive.
    I want to do the right thing, but he kept insisting I keep it.
    So now I don't know what to do...
    I have already opened it and put information on it.

Jan 25, 2010, 09:27 PM

I guess my question is, if I were to keep it could he legelly do anything?
    Could he call the cops if he insisted that I keep it?
    Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:34 AM

Cutting right to the chase - did you misrepresent yourself in some way, including sending the Dentist a photo of someone else, claiming it was a photo of you?

The right thing is to return it to him (if that is your question). Whether it was a gift or not, the right thing to do is return it.

The legal thing to do - I'm not sure. If there was a misrepresentation I believe he has grounds against you. Will he travel to Georgia to file a case against you? Probably not. Will he travel to Georgia and present this situation which does make him look like a jerk? Probably not.

Do you want to do the "right" thing morally or legally?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Of course legally the guy have an uphill battle. If you've never met all he has to show is the email and chat history... if you're comfortable having that go public.

Could you explain why the photo he sent was not you?

Jan 26, 2010, 11:09 AM

No, I never sent him anything that was not me. I would not have any problems with the emails going public if they had to because nothing untrue was said. I'm just thinking he changed his mind about us and this was his way out. We never even talked on the phone, just emails. I told him several times that this was too much but he just kept insisting that I go get it and let him pay for it.
    I have no problem showing my id becsuse I am who my drivers license says I am.

Jan 26, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Morally I want to do the right thing, I'm a good person but, it just ticks me off that he would make all these plans for me to get it, I traveled over an hour away and then he changes his mind.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Then just keep it and cut off all contact.
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Jan 26, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Keep it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do with a gift [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all helpers, I got this gift from my aunt ( who isn't too close to my family) and it was a REAL FUR CHINCHILLA PURSE. Not too big... like a shoulder bag. I am a vegitarian so I don't really like the gift. I want to sell it. Would that be wise?

What is an appropriate gift? [ 4 Answers ]

One of my nephews has just gotten engaged and I have no idea what to give as a gift. He got engaged on Tues. and registered on Thursday. When do I send the gift, there is talk of an engagement party this summer? I am very close to his mother and don't want to cause hard feelings. Is there a...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

View more questions Search