Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdjca2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Bank Levy
    I had a bank levy put on my bank account and the outstanding balance was paid in full. My problem is that they took too much money out of my account. The company that took the money took $2000 more then they were supposed to. I've been calling them for a month to try to get my money back and they are giving me the run around. My question is how long are the able to hold on to my funds without returning it to me.
    posheak Posts: 51, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
    First off do draft a letter to them with this info in it. Dates, amounts taken, dates that you have spoken to them, who you spoke to. etc...

Before you send it to them CALL the Attorney General in your area and tell them all of this, see how they would like to proceed.

Provide copies of the proof you have and send it certified.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2006, 01:03 PM
    First, you need to document the overage. Why do you think they took too much? Do you have a copy of the judgement and the amount it was for?

Second, contact your bank. Before they can take out the money, they have to serve the bank with a copy of the judgement. That copy should have specified the amount of the judgement. If the bank gave them too much, then the bank should be putting it back since it was their mistake.

Do NOT contact the Attorney General at this point. There is NO evidence right now that a crime has been committed. So the AG's office is not going to do anything.

Your best bet is the bank. If they gave out more than the judgement was for, then they are at fault. Let them reimburse you and get it from the creditor. But first you need to determine what the judgement was for.
    posheak Posts: 51, Reputation: -1

Nov 20, 2006, 01:06 PM
    And also monitor your bank account very closely, you may have been the victim of bank fraud and the money levied against you may be going into someone's pocket. You may want to consider closing this account and opening a new one at a new bank.

Nov 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Whenever an account is subject to a garnishment it should not be added to until the garnishment is lifted. Better yet is to close it once the garishment is lifted (you can't close it until its lifted).
    sdjca2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
    I have records from my bank on how much money was taken out. The Jugement amout was for 13k and they took over 15k. In stead of taking out just the jugement amout the took everything out of each of my accounts.

Another question can the levy be put on CD accounts.

Nov 20, 2006, 02:14 PM
    So why haven't you gone to your bank? If they were served a garnishment for 13K and they handed over 15K then THEY made a mistake and should reimburse you.

And yes, CDs are subject to garnishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Bank levy [ 2 Answers ]

I am 59 years old and have been through some difficult times recently. Today I learned that my bank account had a levy placed on it. There was only $533. In the account but it is all the money I have. Is there anything I can do to get it back. As a side note the bank took $100. As a processing fee.

Bank levy [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: Today I received papers on a bank levy to my account seeing how I only had a few dollars in there they took it. Will they keep coming after everything that I deposit until the debt is cleared? Because my check is direct deposited what do I need to do please someone help me.

Levy of Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

A Lawfirm has placed a levy on my bank account because of a Credit Card bill owed by my common law wife. Her name is also on my account. How do I get a release from this levy.

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search