Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OneSolution Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 04:20 PM
    My employer covers me free for my medical insurance. For my dependent , I need to pay 60/week

Name of insurance is Blue cross shield, Texas

Since two years, I had no claims on my insurance and didn't visit the doctor.

I am on H1 Visa and my wife on H4 dependent.

My question is:
    -Is it advisable to put some money aside in HSA?

-How does HSA investment work.. Is it like in HSA you get option to invest money in Mutual funds?

- In case, I got back to my country- India after few years... Can I claim my HSA Balance? Do I pay tax?

-- Does HSA investment plan give you a good returns or just some small rate of returns/?

Thanks

Any comments please

Hello can anyone help
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 09:55 AM

Let's start here: Does your medical policy have a high deductible? HSA's must be used in conjunction with high deductible plans.

If you do have a plan with a high deductible, then an HSA is a tax exempt way to save for medical expenses (it's tax exempt because the money was paid with after-tax funds). However, if the money is not withdrawn for medical purposes, it is taxable.

Since the HSA is considered a trust, you do not have the option to invest it in Mutual Funds. The interest is compounded daily but applied to the HSA on a monthly basis. Accounts with higher balances earn higher interest.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Feb 4, 2010, 03:08 PM

First, To be eligible to open an HSA the insurance plan has to be a HSA qualified, high deductible health plan. Not every high deductible plan will meet the IRS guidelines for an HSA.
    Secondly, Money deposited into a qualified HSA is PRE TAX. It is not taxed either going in or coming out as long as it is used for allowed medical expenses. Using the HSA for non medical expenses will result in taxes and PENALTIES.
    Once you have a balance over the minimum required by the HSA bank you have chosen, there are several investment options allowed. Mutual Funds being one of the options.
    OneSolution Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 03:38 PM

In case, I got back to my country- India after few years... Can I claim my HSA Balance? Do I pay tax and penalties?
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Feb 25, 2010, 06:30 AM
    That's a tax question not a "health insurance" question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I calculate daily interest on saving account and term deposit account [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir's, Kindly let me know how to calculate daily interest rate applicable to my saving account and term deposit account.

Health Savings Account (HSA) - Form 1099-SA [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have an HSA and received a 1099-SA with $250 in Box1 of the form. Last year most of my medical charges (~$2000) occurred in Nov and Dec. I received and paid the bills from my HSA in Jan'09 and yet to receive 1 or 2 more. So, these charges did not appear in Box1 for 2008 1099-SA. My...

Accounting for a health care savings account [ 5 Answers ]

I've been using Quicken for a double entry record of my finances since forever. I've figured out ways to amortize my insurance so it charges it monthly, and track everything real well. Well, today I'm stumped. When I see a medical provider, I write a check and split it: my copayment goes into...

Saving account interest [ 3 Answers ]

Just how is the interest paid on savings figured? Say, for instance, I have $10,000.00 in my saving account and the interest is 3.5%. How much interest will I earn at the end of the month and how is this figured??

View more questions Search