Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quanah Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
    Zippo lighter with stuck/corroded flint
    I have an old Zippo lighter that I dug out the other day, and the flint is corroded in the flint tube. At first the wheel wouldn't turn, but I got it to turn freely. Looks like the flint corroded to the wheel after all those years laying in a dresser drawer. I can't push the flint up from the bottom of the tube, and there's no way to push it down from the top because of the flint wheel. I thought about drilling it out, up from the bottom, the flint is about 3/32''. I know I can send it to Zippo for a free fix, but that takes 4-6 weeks. Any suggestions?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 09:59 AM

Since the flint is obviously corroded inside the tube. While drilling the flint out you may just strip out the screw threads that hold the flint in.

You may try using a paper clip and tap the flint from the bottom. You need to use some Zippo fluid at the same time in the tube as Zippo fluid can be used in many different ways. Possibly you may have some success doing this. Let the fluid soak into the flint in the tube for a few minutes before using the paperclip.

Jan 28, 2010, 09:27 AM

Thanks TWINKIEDOOTER, I put some fluid in the flint tube 3 or 4 times, let it soak an hour or so, and finally got a small wire to poke through. I've seen on the internet that you can replace the flint with one from a BIC disposable, which I found to be too large in diameter, but I did have another brand of disposable with a smaller diameter flint, my Zippo works great now. It's been over 30 years since it's been lit. I don't smoke anymore but everybody needs a good lighter. Thanks for the input!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2010, 04:13 PM

You need to spend 50 cents for a pack of Zippo flints. They are specially made for the Zippo lighters. You can get them at any smoke shop. If you use anything other than the Zippo flints you will damage your lighter. Sure, you can buy a pack of Ronson flints but they are not made like the Zippos are and the Zippo flints spark much better giving you a good light.

In the future, if you intend on storing your lighter and not using it may I suggest that you remove the flint from the lighter.

Jan 29, 2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks twinkiedooter, I will heed your advise. Taking the flint out and storing it under the felt pad, (where Zippo recommends you store a spare flint).
    banditftw4q2 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 03:41 PM

Here's something to think about- -- Flint in tube + Paper clip(steel)= Spark - Add lighter fliud that someone says to put in tube = FIRE! - Your lucky that you didn't light yourself on fire,and any that spilled while you did what an idiot told you to do could have easily cost you your life & your home! Think before you take someone's advice, It might save your life!! "Bandit"
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Dec 1, 2010, 03:17 AM
    I highly doubt that he was in any danger at all. Twinkiedooter offered good, practical advice that works (it just helped me out)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Would like to find Biological dad -Flint Michigan area [ 9 Answers ]

I decided to see if anyone knows the best (free) way of finding my biological father. I was conceived near Flint Michigan by a man named Daniel Gordon. This was in 1981 and he was between the ages of 20-23. My mom and him dated briefly until he left her for another woman. Supposedly he went off...

Damp proofing solid flint walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have damp problems so have removed the old lath & plaster stud walls, which has revealed a thick solid flint wall which is also damp (my house is 250 years old). How should I treat the flint wall before replacing the studwork with foilbacked plasterboard?

Corroded flame sensor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Lennox (10 yrs. Old) furnace with a high quality air cleaner. (Filter new) My flame sensor has to be cleaned every 2 - 4 days (as the furnace goes out and blows cold air). It is continually getting corroded. The ceramic is totally intact. I clean the sensor with a fine wire...

Getting corroded pipes loose [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are putting in a new fixture in our shower/bath combo, got everything in order now, but one pipe that we cannot get loose. My husband is a big guy that has the man power, but I think that it might have something to do with the pipes being corroded. Does anyone know of any tricks...

Do I have corroded pipes below below my tub? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I am REALLY hoping someone out there can help! We live in an old house (built 1888). The plumbing is not that old, since the house didn't have indoor plumbing when it was built. We believe the plumbing was put in around 1934. Our upstairs tub/shower won't drain. We have had it...

View more questions Search