Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sally_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 09:36 AM
    How long a tooth can stay after rootcanal is done but there I no crown on it
    I had got my root canal done, but I have to get a crown on it.I just wanted to know how long a tooth can stay if it does not have a crown on it?
    saurabh_unicon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 11:29 AM

Hi,

I suggest you get the crown fixed at earliest, as after the root canal the tooth is not as strong, especially the filling where the root was dug. Your dentist will insist that you get the crown done immediately and that is the only correct manner.

The root canal may not prove effective and can be exposed again for infections. Any dentist or any patient gone through root canal and postponing crown fixing will tell you the same thing.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
    There is no time frame that a tooth that has had a root canal will last without a crown. Once the nerve is out of the tooth it becomes quite brittle and will easily break. The unfortunate thing that can happen is that when the tooth breaks it breaks vertically along the roots which makes it impossible to fix.

If the tooth has not given you any problems since the root canal was done it's best to get the crown placed as soon as possible.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jan 25, 2010, 06:20 PM

The main reason root canaled teeth break is due to the loss of massive amounts of tooth structure due to decay, fillings, and the root canal process itself. Almost ALL back teeth (past the canine tooth) require crowns after root canals. Most front teeth don't. Your best bet for a back tooth is a full gold crown after a root canal
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
    Sally,

A full gold crown is great for lower molars (no one can usually see these teeth when you talk or smile) but for an upper molar you can have 3/4 gold with porcelain on the cheek side so that when you smile people will see tooth colour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Crown or have tooth pulled? [ 15 Answers ]

I am 55 years old and have a bottom back molar that has a large filling. The tooth has recently cracked and is very sensitive to cold. My dentist suggests a crown, but I have had several crowns and hate to go through the process again and hate to go to the expense. What is the disadvantage to...

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

Crown on loose tooth [ 2 Answers ]

My denist replied that I did not need a crown on my tooth because it was loose and needs to be distracted, but another dentist stated that I needed a crown on that tooth. What you think?

View more questions Search