Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a68cudas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Heavy rains making my basement drain back up
    I live in a house that is 90 yrs old. When we moved in 5 year ago we had to have septic put in. the septic leach field has a runoff piping all way around leach field and runs out back in woods. About a year ago I had heavy rain and snow run off like today and basement drain backed up. I went out back and cleaned end of pipe that runs out in woods and water receded. Same problem happen today with heavy rain so I do same thing I did last time but didn't help much. What can I do to fix this problem? Any help greatly appreciated
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    what can i do to fix this problem? any help greatly appreciated
    Sounds like the leach field gets saturated with melt and rainwaterand can no longer function. You're fortunate that the installer had the foresight
    To install a overflow pipe. You have no choice but to keep this line open and above any surface water. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Storm Drain - overflows when it rains [ 1 Answers ]

COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Storm drain in basement - water backs up through this drain.. . Help Plumber #1 thinks it's a trap out in the yard - wants to backhoe 10' down Plumber #2 thinks it's the trap in basement that's plugged - wants to tear up floor Need solid diagnosis for proper repair. thanks

Washer drain in basement backs up when it rains [ 2 Answers ]

My floor drain the basement backs up after a hard rain when I use my washer. The landlord contacted a plumber who said there is no connection between the two and that the backup is caused from grease in the kitchen sink upstairs. I don't put grease down the drain and the drain downstairs only backs...

Basement shower drain backs up when it rains heavy [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever it rains heavy the basement shower drain backs up with clean water and also the toilet rises and bubbles. Where is the water coming as I'm not flushing or running any water in the house. Please help! Thank you.

Basement drain backs up during heavy rain. [ 1 Answers ]

The home was built in 1948 (Wayne MI), and is tied into the cities sewer system. Just last week we had a heavy rain. I come home from work, go down stairs only to see our carpet soaking wet. I remove the carpet and see that the water level in the drain is flush with the floor. :confused: The...

Basement Drain Smell When It Rains [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago and have been very good about making sure the drains in the basement do not go dry. We add water every couple of weeks and have even added vegetable oil to prevent evaporation. We've also tried flushing bleach through it. Despite this, we get the bad P-trap smell....

View more questions Search