Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 09:48 PM
    A linear epitope
    Can anyone tell me what exactly a linear epitope is and what it does? I have a short description in a text book but it's not very descriptive and the jargon is a bit hard to understand.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Jan 26, 2010, 09:46 PM

An epitope is a region of a protein which an antibody binds to. A protein is a linear chain that folds up in a complex manner. If the antibody binds to a continuous amino acid sequence of the protein it is termed a linear epitope since the protein is linear amino acid chain. An antibody could also recognizes (binds to) a number of amino acids which are nearby in the protein 3D conformation, but which are not continuous, In this case it is termed a conformational epitope.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 10:54 PM

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linear Programming [ 1 Answers ]

What is the usage and application of linear programming with particular reference to banking?

Linear functions [ 1 Answers ]

Is anyone willing to help me figure this out please? I'm completely lost. Thanks In 1992 the life expectancy of males in a certain country was 72.5 years. In 1997 it was 75.3 years. Let E represent the life expectancy in year t and let yeaar t represent the number of years since 1992. Use the...

Linear equations [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help for this equation need to combine like terms .then solve and simplify x+6=2x+5 :)

Linear equation [ 2 Answers ]

examples of linear equation in two variables. With soution

View more questions Search