Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamdust Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2010, 04:43 AM
    How do I move on from this embarrassing situation?
    Last year I took part in a historical re-enactment, and had the best time. I made new friends and had so much fun, it was magical.

I really want to return this year, and for many years to come, but there is one thing that holds me back - the embarrassing situation.

Basically a couple of friends and I had been drinking one night, and I was still feeling the effects in the morning. I was absolutely bursting for the loo but felt I couldn't leave my duties until later on. I then found something really funny and wet myself. I thought it was OK - just a little leak, so I rushed off to the loo. When I came back I saw that some had splashed on to the floor (inside) :'( I feel awful and ashamed.

Normally in embarrassing situations I would hide away, never return to the scene and try to forget about it, but I loved it so much that I want to return. No-one mentioned it at the time, but I am terrified that if I go back this year, it will come up and I will be publicly humiliated.

Should I:

a) hide away and never return
    b) go back and face the consequences and admit to everyone what happened
    c) go back and deny that anything happened

Any support would be appreciated :(
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2010, 05:45 AM

I am of the mind that it was a bigger thing for you than any of them,they have much bigger things to worry about other than some little issue like where you 'spilled' your 'drink' on the floor.

The most they could say is that they noticed.(if they are friends they won't even say anything)

Shame is inward and very self defeating,stopping many from doing things that they like to do because of something or another.Other people have their own shame.Don't let a little thing become a bigger thing by dwelling on it, just go and enjoy the activity like nothing happened.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 05:45 AM

Go back, and no one remembers and don't give a darn if they did. So you were drunk and/or hung over.

Learn the lesson and stop getting drunk. Far worst normally happens, that involves being naked and worst.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 09:53 AM

I think it's safe to assume that even if they knew the little dribble was yours, they wouldn't say a thing, and just mark it off as one of those things.

Don't make a big deal out of it, especially when so much time will have passed before the next you are all together again.

Please don't let it ruin your fun, and don't give it a second thought.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jan 24, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Go back, and no one remembers and don't give a darn if they did. So you were drunk and/or hung over.

Learn the lesson and stop getting drunk. Far worst normally happens, that involves being naked and worst.
    Sorry I meant to type, being human means occasionally making a twit of ourselves - no biggie.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 08:26 PM

Back in my drinking days ( as a young man) merely wetting myself would have been a laught at myself, If I had beaten one up, or cursed someone out, maybe made a pass at a few of their wife's or girlfriends.

But honestly, you don't even metion it, and if someone else does ( and they won't) but if they do, laught and say something silly, like this year you will merely run naken when you get drunk or anything silly and just laugh
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 08:49 PM

I have to spread the rep Chuck but I agree.

I have to add, if someone is unkind enough to bring it up, they're not your friend and most people will be shocked at that person, not your accident.

I'm sure it's a lot worse in your own mind then it really was.

Go back, have fun, and next time go to the loo when you feel the urge, don't wait. ;)
    dreamdust Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2010, 04:41 PM

Thank you all for the advice, I will take it on board, stop worrying and live life, I guess that's the only thing to do!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamdust View Post
    Thank you all for the advice, I will take it on board, stop worrying and live life, I guess that's the only thing to do!
    Exactly, and rally, it's never as big a deal as you think it is.

I remember one day at school, high school, I fell asleep at my desk. It was one of those desk that the chair is attached to the desk, one piece. I toppled over, hit the ground with a large thwack and the desk broke because of the impact. The entire class laughed, I turned beat red. I was mortified.

It just so happened that that was the last class of the day, on a Friday. I fretted all weekend about going back to school, thinking that my fall would be the only thing that people were talking about.

Monday morning came, no one mentioned it.

I ruined a perfectly good weekend worrying about something that never even happened.

Just go have fun. That's an order! ;)
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 09:03 PM
    I've wet myself a couple of times when I've laughed really hard, and it does seem to increase in occurrence as I age (those damn pelvic muscles!).

I would not worry about what happened - at least it shows that you can laugh and have a good time! It's been a year and you're probably the only one that remembers.

Please don't sweat the small things - this is the least thing that you need to worry about!
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jan 25, 2010, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    I've wet myself a couple of times when I've laughed really hard, and it does seem to increase in occurrence as I age (those damn pelvic muscles!).

I would not worry about what happened - at least it shows that you can laugh and have a good time! It's been a year and you're probably the only one that remembers.

Please don't sweat the small things - this is the least thing that you need to worry about!
    A really bad cough with the flu did it to me. I went round making jokes about being an old lady and needing a cat to blame it on lol.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    A really bad cough with the flu did it to me. I went round making jokes about being an old lady and needing a cat to blame it on lol.
    Heh, sneezing can do it as well! A bit embarrassing when you leave a wet patch on a conference room chair, or your own car seat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So embarrassing! [ 12 Answers ]

I'm 16 and I'm so ashamed of my body. From my shoulders down (including my arms) every hair on my body is dark and completely visible! My back, stomach, chest, thighs and even my bottom! :( Now, from my knees to my ankles I can handle, just do what every other normal woman does and shaves....

Can someone move with her child in a custody situation [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to marry my girlfriend in Toronto. She has the custody of her 4 1/2 year old daughter with 3 days visitation for her father. Can we go to court and request for relocation to Washington DC, where I reside and work. We are willing to let her stay with him during summer, and some...

Embarrassing meeting [ 5 Answers ]

A guy goes to the supermarket and notices a beautiful blond woman wave at him and say hello. He's rather taken aback, because he can't place where he knows her from. So he says, "Do you know me?" To which she replies, "I think your the father of one of my kids." Now his mind travels back to the...

Embarrassing leakage [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I had 3 kids, and I am 41 years old. My last son was over 10 lbs and they were ALL regular deliveries, with no drugs. The last kid really did a number on me. So about 4 years ago I had a hysterectomy, BEST thing I ever did. No more monthlies and cramps. But ever since I was little, I had...

Ok... this is embarrassing... [ 14 Answers ]

So tonight things are getting hot and heavy between me and my lady friend, and we decide to take it to the bedroom... I was SO ready to go until it came time, then I just totally freaked myself out and couldn't do it! Now, I have NO problem getting aroused by any means, but I just couldn't shut off...

View more questions Search