Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judy Heflin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 09:22 PM
    My mother passed away recently and our step father does not want to share her assets,
    My siblings and I cared for our sick mother for the past 4 years 24 hours a day, but she recently passed away. We used our own money to pay for gas for travel when we cared for my mom which was several hundred dollars a month for several years and our stepdad would not help us at all, he doesn't get around very well the only thing does well is control everything especially all the money. But I am considering getting an attorney to see if we have any legal rights to any of moms assets, my stepdad also has 15000 of my deceased brothers money that was in my moms possession when she passed so my stepdad says it is now his, that is so wrong. Do we have any legal recourse.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 09:35 PM

Was there a will? If there wasn't then what state do you live in? Other then that unless special rules of the home state make it different then he IS the survivior and yes its his money now.

Jan 24, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Was there a will? If there wasnt then what state do you live in? Other then that unless special rules of the home state make it different then he IS the survivior and yes its his money now.
    No will, state is Indiana

Jan 24, 2010, 04:38 PM

No will, state is Indiaia
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2010, 05:53 PM

In Indiana the surviving spouce is the one to inherit. Was there ever an agreement between you and your sibblings and your mother (in writing) that you would get paid for your services? If so and you were never paid, then you may have a claim on her estate for whatever that amount is but it dosen't sound like you do. You can still have a consultation with a lawyer in your area if you want (sometimes they are free if it is a big case and they think they will win they can take it on contingency).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I contact my mother who recently passed away? [ 27 Answers ]

I just lost my mom/best friend 5 weeks ago. She wasn't religious but very spiritual. She had visits from close family members who had passed away, including my sister who died at 8. Although her death was very unexpected, I had talked to her beforehand about visiting me in her afterlife. Does...

Adopting step father and natural mother split up before adoption is finalized [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering... In the State of California about adoption proceedings.. A fathers rights were terminated, ( the 1 year abandonment is what got him, my brother had got in trouble, so the mom knew where to get him mom is only 21 years old, the judge so stated herself, that is not lack of his...

My mother is on drugs and my step father is in jail [ 2 Answers ]

:mad:My mother is on drugs and my step father is in jail. My mother just got of the hospital for having a bad trip on PCP,Cocaine, and Marijuana. Now she has informed me that she wants to come get my little brother who I have had in my custody for a year and half. She has had drug problems and...

Father recently passed with no will [ 2 Answers ]

My father recently passed and there was no will. Now my stepmother wants his remaining children to sign some form she sent to us regarding the sale of his pickup and travel trailer, we do not want to sign because we had asked her we wanted to keep these as areminder of time with our father. Do we...

My father died recently and my mother wants to transfer accounts into my name [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away very unexpectedly and without warning 2 months ago. Now that the shock has finally subsided I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake that will cause future problems. My father was retired and had various bank accounts and mutual funds which...

View more questions Search