Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misterjugs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 11:05 PM
    Florida/nc residency
    My spouse & I were both NC residents for tax purposes through 2000. In early 2001 I moved to Florida and became a resident. My spouse continued to be a NC resident.

In 2001 we filed a joint federal return plus a NC return showing my spouse as a full time resident while I filed as a part time resident.

Each year since then, we have filed a joint federal return while only my spouse has filed a NC return.

If I continue to be a Florida resident, are there any restriction on how much time I can visit and live in NC withiut running afoul of the NC tax authorities?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Nov 20, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by misterjugs
    My spouse & I were both NC residents for tax purposes through 2000. In early 2001 I moved to Florida and became a resident. My spouse continued to be a NC resident.

In 2001 we filed a joint federal return plus a NC return showing my spouse as a full time resident while I filed as a part time resident.

Each year since then, we have filed a joint federal return while only my spouse has filed a NC return.

If I continue to be a Florida resident, are there any restriction on how much time I can visit and live in NC withiut running afoul of the NC tax authorities?
    In general if you have no nexus with NC and/or earn no income from NC sources you should have no NC liabiity. I assume you vote, bank, register your car in FL. If you have a nexus in NC (income), try and stay in FL for more than 6 months.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
    I have nothing to add; Delite hit all the pertinent points.
    misterjugs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Yes, I do "everything" in Florida. Thanks for the opinion. Misterjugs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida eviction [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of Florida once a tenant is served with an eviction notice how long does he have to vacate property?

I really need to move out of Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really need to move. My family and myself have our home up for sale and we have a contract on it right now. We just had it appraised two days ago, and haven't heard a thing. Next will be the survey if we get past the appraisal part. Then hopefully next week we will be closing on the...

Using my rental investment in FL as primary residency for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

This might be complex -- but here we go: I am looking at purchasing oceanfront property in FL and I am wondering if I can use FL's no income tax laws to my advantage. I own a home in NC and work in sales for a company based in NC. Here are a few of my questions: 1. Can I choose to list FL as...

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

About residency of h1-b holder and how to efile form 4868 [ 5 Answers ]

A.T.E, thank you very much! I am still confused about some questions below: 1. does the residency of 2005 depend on the presence of 2005 or that of when I file the income tax return in 2006. 2. I read some articles with the expression"first year choice", I find it is very important, would...

View more questions Search