Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Le One Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return
    Hello,

I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy through January 2009 and continued to receive compensation from his Italian employer through May 2009. He paid Italian taxes on this money. My husband also worked in the US during 2009 and had US taxes withheld from his paychecks.
    I am not sure if it would be more beneficial to have him file as a dual-status alien or as a resident alien.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Tara
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Tara:

You can file jointly with your husband. This will allow you to claim the $11,400 joint standard deduction plus two $3,650 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife).

However, you must declare ALL 2009 world-wide income, but you can at least partially offset any double taxation by claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) for the Italian taxes paid on your husband's foreign-sourced salary.

Even with this extra taxation this is probably the best way for you to file.

If you want professional help doing this, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax-Dual status alien [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I was a resident (F1-student) of US until the end of June 2008 and then I left for Canada for a job. I was a US resident for tax purposes for years 2006 and 2007. Since I did not reside in US for 183 days in 2008, I think I am considered a resident until end of June and a non-resident...

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since. Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien? Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search