Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GWALKER29 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
    My grandparents has passed and my mother has passed what am I entitled
    I live in New Orleans my grandparents died and my mother passed, what am I entitled to because there are houses and money due to my mother, but I do not know much about Louisiana law as far as inheritance. My aunts and uncles are just sitting on the property because they are fortunate enough, but me and my siblings are struggling along the way. There are houses being occupied by them and one is empty what can we do to get our share of our mother's estate? We are in need.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 01:39 PM

Did your grandparents pass away before your mother? And do you know if your grandparents and/or mother had a will in effect when they died? If yes, the wills would dictate who gets what from the estates. If your grandparents and/or mother died without a will then their estate is divided between heirs using a formula set by law. The sequence of who died when is important here. Also, assets such as house are often titled in such a way that upon death they pass directly to a person specified on the title. So it's impossible to say what you are entitled to. Have you talked to your aunts and uncles about it?

Jan 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
    My grandfather died first, he had all the children sign an agreement not to divide anything until my grandmother passes. My mother died after my grandfather, then my grandmother died this pass May. My mother did not have a will, but I haven't talked to any of my aunts or uncles, I don't want to offend my uncles or aunt. What should I do to find out.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 05:49 PM

It wouldn't be offensive to look at a will AFTER a person has passed. Only before they pass is it offensive to ask what's in it. Since her passing you have a right to see it and whoever is holding it has an obligation to allow you to have a copy. If your mom passed before your grandmother did and there wasn't any previous provisions for grand children then your not inline for anything from the grandparents. Only from your mother.

Jan 23, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Shouldn't we get what is entitled to our mother
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GWALKER29 View Post
    shouldnt we get what is entitled to our mother
    Only if it's in writing in the form of a will.

Jan 23, 2010, 08:40 AM
    So in Louisiana only the living children are entitled to inheritance
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 09:23 AM

This pretty much covers it. It's a PDF file.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGk1DBIV...uccessions.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Before mother passed away, she was whispering to someone. [ 3 Answers ]

My mother passed away a little over a week ago and I am having a really bad time dealing with it. About 3 weeks before she passed, she would not take her medicene, refuse to eat, refuse to go to the doctor and was always locking us out of the house. She was 78 years old. We finally got her to a...

After my mother passed away [ 3 Answers ]

As the years go by, the more I missed my mother. How can I recover my loneliness because she died a week before her departure to visit me?

My mother passed away. [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away in early September. The company my Aunt works for (my mom's sister) sent flowers to the funeral home. My Aunt received 3 days off work for "death in family". She called me asking why I hadn't sent her work a thank you note yet. I explained to her that they sent flowers on...

Mother Passed, Now What? [ 8 Answers ]

Years ago, My mother had a will and gave a copy to my brother and myself 50/50. She told me, a friend in Washington State, where she lives, suggested her to rewrite the will and NOT give us or ANY Family a Copy? I thought it was a little strange, and was thinking you must have better(honorable...

Mother passed [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother died just over a year ago. My Father has survived her. My sister(the only girl in family) has been helping my father w/things like social security and finances... i.e. medical bills and such. Recently, my father had told me the he receives no survivors benefits from social security. Is...

View more questions Search