Jan 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
    High Cholesterol
    Last week I did a blood test and found the following:
    Cholesterol = 238
    HDL = 33
    LDL = 171
    Triglycerides = 112

Doctor prescribed Crestor 10mg

I start taking this drug. But now I read about the side effects.
    Can I stop this drug and try lowering Cholesterol through Diet and Sport?

PS. I'm 47 y/o and not fat and I started doing bodybuilding 6 months back

Thanks and regards,

Ziad
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 12:47 PM

I don't think it's that possible to reduce your cholesterol quickly (and that what is probably needed) through diet and excersize. Otherwise I wouldn't be on Lipitor because I run 5 k 3x week and work out l/2 hour every day. This, of course, contributes to my low carbohydrate reading every six months, along with the Lipitor. I am out stroke range. Which is the purpose.

The side effects have to be made public, otherwise there would be legal complications if not done. I know for sure I can't have grapefruit taking Lipitor because it would damage my liver.

Stay healthy and avoid strokes by taking the med the way your doctor prescribed.

tick
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 22, 2010, 12:51 PM

This is just my opinion and should not be used in place of talking to your doctor. I think doctors prescribe too much medicine, too often. I think they do this partly because they believe their patients want a prescription and partly because they get incentives to prescribe from the drug companies. There are many things you can do with diet and exercise to get your cholesterol numbers into a healthy range.

Here are a few links to sites that have ideas on how to lower your cholesterol:

Natural Cholesterol Reduction: Simple Techniques to Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels

Lowering cholesterol Naturally

Proven Natural Cholesterol Lowering Techniques - Effective Cholesterol Reduction Without Medication

Be sure to call your doctor and tell him that you would rather try diet and lifestyle changes before resorting to cholesterol lowering drugs. You should have your blood cholesterol re-checked after a couple months on your new plan.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 02:07 PM

Got to interject here - it is very important some of the boards (primarily legal and medical) to give solid advice based on education, work experience, solid research rather than "I think" advice.

My late husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy and I resent any of the "too much medication in order to enrich the coffers" advice. I also know high cholesterol, untreated, can kill a person.

I note you are in favor of natural treatment and not in favor of medication (I read your other posts). However, this is dangerous info when you don't know the OP's background.

The OP should take the medication as prescribed, go BACK to the Doctor and ask for additional advice.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 02:23 PM
    [QUOTE=thisisit;2188906

Be sure to call your doctor and tell him that you would rather try diet and lifestyle changes before resorting to cholesterol lowering drugs. You should have your blood cholesterol re-checked after a couple months on your new plan.[/QUOTE]

Hi thisisit. I should have mentioned in my original post, that aside from taking cholesterol meds, we don't really know the OP's underlying medical conditions. High cholesterol usually goes alongside conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes, heart disease, etc. What I am saying is, his doctor may have prescribed cholesterol meds because he really does need them to bring down his high cholesterol problem to coincide with other issues that are ongoing. Usually, and this is from personal as well as professional knowledge, once on high cholesterol meds you just don't get a chance to go off them. My cholesterol is now within normal range, but have been advised I will be on them for life. I don't mind as long as it keeps me stroke free. From your avvy, I don't think you will have to worry about that range for a while.

May I ask. Are you in the medical profession or closely related to it ?

Tick
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 02:45 PM

JKT, I knew you weren't talking to me, usually lately we are on the same page, thanks for pointing that out though, I appreciate the affirmation.

Tick
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    JKT, I knew you werent talking to me, usually lately we are on the same page, thanks for pointing that out though, I appreciate the affirmation.

tick

Scary, isn't it? :)
    zsababa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 12:25 AM
    Hello,

Thank you all for your answers. Just want to add that my blood pressure and diabetes are normal.

Thanks & regards,

Ziad

hi thisisit. I should have mentioned in my original post, that aside from taking cholesterol meds, we dont really know the OP's underlying medical conditions. High cholesterol usually goes alongside conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes, heart disease, etc. What I am saying is, his doctor may have prescribed cholesterol meds because he really does need them to bring down his high cholesterol problem to coincide with other issues that are ongoing. Usually, and this is from personal as well as professional knowledge, once on high cholesterol meds you just dont get a chance to go off them. My cholesterol is now within normal range, but have been advised I will be on them for life. I dont mind as long as it keeps me stroke free. From your avvy, I dont think you will have to worry about that range for a while.

May I ask. Are you in the medical profession or closely related to it ?

tick
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zsababa View Post
    Hello,

Thank you all for your answers. Just want to add that my blood pressure and diabetes are normal.

Thanks & regards,

Ziad
    So you are saying that you do have high blood pressure and diabetes but they are normal readings ?

Tick
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 23, 2010, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the additional info Ziad. I had assumed that your blood pressure was normal and that you did not have diabetes since you said you are 47, you are not fat, and you have been body building for six months. I should not assume things because the reply I gave could have been dangerous if you had high blood pressure and diabetes and obesity.

Many people have found they can lower their cholesterol in as few as six weeks, with diet changes, quitting smoking (if you smoke) and exercising, without medication. To be safe, be sure and talk to your doctor about it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    This is just my personal opinion and should not be used in place of talking to your doctor. I think doctors prescribe too much medicine, too often. I think they do this partly because they believe their patients want a prescription and partly because they get incentives to prescribe from the drug companies. There are many things you can do with diet and exercise to get your cholesterol numbers into a healthy range.

Here are a few links to sites that have ideas on how to lower your cholesterol:

Natural Cholesterol Reduction: Simple Techniques to Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels

Lowering cholesterol Naturally

Proven Natural Cholesterol Lowering Techniques - Effective Cholesterol Reduction Without Medication

Be sure to call your doctor and tell him that you would rather try diet and lifestyle changes before resorting to cholesterol lowering drugs. You should have your blood cholesterol re-checked after a couple months on your new plan.

I'm seriously biting my tongue here... look, is it bleeding? :cool:

We don't prescribe meds because we get a cut of the profits. We prescribe meds because a person NEEDS them to live a healthy life. Sure some docs over prescribe, and I don't agree with that.

But here, we are talking about cholesterol. A problem that can not only cause strokes, but deadly heart attacks. We need certain chemicals to help break up that grease in our veins and arteries when it is getting close enough to cause a major health issue.

I don't give my patients Labetalol because I get a check every month. I give it because my patients need their blood pressure lowered quickly before they stroke out!

Medication is a second line defense whenever possible. If levels are too high, change in diet and exercise are not going to help quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post

We don't prescribe meds because we get a cut of the profits.
    I take that back. We get pens and badge holders. No, wait, they cut the pens and badge holders back so that they do not seem to be advertising any longer.

What sucks is that we would take Chloraprep wipes and wipe off the name of the medication off the pen or the badge, but now we have to cut into our own budget to buy our own pens and badge holders.

Yeah, you think that's nothing, not expensive... WRONG. We write so much that we can go through a 3 or 4 pack of pens in a week!
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2010, 08:06 AM

What does "my diabetes is normal" mean? I've never seen diabetes and normal in the same sentence before.

And my husband died from complications of diabetes so I know something about this subject.
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 12:07 PM

No one has 'normal' diabetes, without the proper meds and diet. Diabetes is just that diabetes. Either type 1 or 2; controlled with meds, diet, and/or insulin. Normal diabetes is keeping your glucose level down to a relatively low reading by checking it every morning. Here in Canada the standard reading for fasting is 7, so that is what it should be in the morning, or 8 after eating your last meal. That is normally type 1 diabetes.

I am a diabetic by the way and my readings have been normal for a good number of years on one metformin a day, diet and regular exercise.

So I hope the OP comes back and clarifies this for us.

Tick
    zsababa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Sorry, I meant I do not have high BP or Diabetes.
    I only have High Cholesterol
    -------------------------------
    so you are saying that you do have high blood pressure and diabetes but they are normal readings ?

tick
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zsababa View Post
    Sorry, I meant I do not have high BP or Diabetes.
    I only have High Cholesterol
    -------------------------------
    Thanks for clarifying that, zsa !

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High cholesterol [ 1 Answers ]

Is Shrimp High In Cholesterol?

Cholesterol high levels? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a 22yr old female quite active and I'm 5'4 and about 10 and half stone so I'm a little overweight for my height,I've recently been suffering from health issues so decided to look into my health and do some home testing kits,I checked for diabetes and it came up negative I also check my...

HIgh cholesterol [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of any vitamins or foods that help lower LDL cholesterol and boost the HDL ?

Recipes to lower high cholesterol [ 1 Answers ]

My family has a history of high cholesterol and it's happening to me. I walk a lot, I avoid fatty foods and I take a bottle of Danacol daily. My problem is I'm starting to hate boiled or steamed vegies. I can't even stand the smell anymore. Where can I find some good low fat recipes . Thanks

View more questions Search