Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Sweets in Elementary School Parties
    I recently moved from a School District that was new and had State of the Art buildings and technology. Their food policy was never to allow any junk food (sweets) into the classrooms for birthday parties or any school reward. If there were rewards for classroom contests, they won prizes from a prize box or a pizza party. It was very controlled and wonderful, because, with child allergies, the teachers did not even let the parents bring in unknown items without listed ingredients.

That changed when I moved to a new school district. The kids have parties with junk food for rewards. The teachers have parties for their classes with junk food for holidays. With allergies that my kids have and the campaign against school sweets, that went on in America to get soda and candy out of the cafeteria, I am amazed at this lack of change. Especially, when so many kids are developing diabetes.

My question is, what are your experiences in your school district regarding sweets at school parties? If it bothers you, did you mention it and what was the response? One of the teachers tells me that in all his many years working there, no one has ever brought the subject up. I find that hard to believe.

Jan 24, 2010, 06:18 PM

No answers, so I will rephrase the question:

Are there sweets allowed in your school snacks and/or parties at your local elementary school? I'm curious how common it still is.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 06:25 PM

We do allow snacks at the school my kids go to, but there are rules.

No nuts of any kind.

During a holiday party some parents are asked to bring sweets and others bring veggie platters and fruit platters. There's a healthy balance, not just junk food.

I don't mind my kids have sweets once in a while. This isn't a weekly, not even a monthly, occurrence. It's only during a school event, party for Halloween or Christmas, end of the year party, Valentine's day.

As for rewards, there's an award box with little dollar store toys that the kids get to choose from if their work is consistently good.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 07:24 PM

I will agree with your second school completely
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jan 24, 2010, 08:19 PM

When I was in school we had parties with junk food too, candy as rewards.. etc. no rules. We didn't have parties everyday. Just when there was a holiday like chistmas, halloween, thanksgivng, and easter. Kids don't usually have a huge birthday party at school. They might bring in cupcakes, but that isn't that isn't too bad.

In high school, the principal tried to remove all sweets. It failed mainly because the teachers, students, and parents complained that the lunch the school provided was way more unhealthy and the drinks we had were more packed with sugar than candy and cookies.

I don't think giving out candy and chips in school is that bad unless children are getting too much of it. A kids party without sweets is kind of sad in my opinion. The parties are only once in a while anyway. If your kids have allergies I think you should pack them their own lunch to take to school and limit the amount of junk they eat at home. If something they have to eat as school doesn't have the ingredients listed than your kids shouldn't eat it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 08:57 PM

The no nut rule is only because of the amount of children with fatal nut allergies. I accidentally sent a granola bar that had nuts in Jared's lunch the other day. I got a note from the teacher asking that I please refrain from sending snacks with nuts.

My husband is allergic to nuts, even the smell of them will make him very ill, so I understand that. Also, kids often share lunches (even though they're not supposed to) and it's too dangerous.
    Sissielala Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 09:45 PM

There were always cookies or cupcakes at school party's. No one complained and if you don't let your child have these, you shouldn't push your food rules on others.

Jan 24, 2010, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. It's my little survey to see what other school rules are like across the country (world). Anyone else that can share their current elementary school rules?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 02:58 AM
    We are not allowed to send sweets to our school. Only healthy snacks. No homemade items either.
    Shadam23 Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Feb 13, 2010, 01:57 AM

Diabetes is quite common now in NZ, so mostly all the primary/elementary school are not allowed any junk food at all! Even chocolate chip cookies is a NO!NO! @ my sons elementary school if you do bring junk food into the school consequences are, you see the principal and your parents are involved. Even the school tuck shop/cafeteria does not sell any junk food! I think the only thing closest to junk food is the vegeterian pizza!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 13, 2010, 02:04 AM
    Now I can understand the sweets and junk food, but what's with homemade items?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 02:47 AM
    Homemade foods can contain bacteria if not made in the proper way. Some people may cut a chicken on a cutting board, wipe it off, then place cookies to cool on the same cutting board... voila a salmonella outbreak.

Not everyone is clean Ben. E-coli can spread this way too.

Feb 13, 2010, 09:18 AM

Curlyben, the kids that had allergies could not be exposed to homemade items just in case there was an ingredient in there that would cause problems.

My solution at this time with this school is to just offer a healthy alternative for the party, such as fruit sorbet instead of ice cream. The one class that I mentioned to the parents turned into an ice cream and fruit celebration instead of candy, candy, and cupcakes. Then, as the kids get older, they will learn what they can take, although, they still can get confused sometimes. It never hurts to be too careful with allergies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Requirements for Elementary school? [ 8 Answers ]

I am unsure of if I should put my son through preschool before entering kindergarten next year. He is very well socialized so that is not a problem. What is or at least should be required for him to know before starting kindergarten?? :confused:

Elementary School Math [ 2 Answers ]

Using the numbers one through nine only one time each, fill in the blanks and complete this equation. 00000-0000=33333

Elementary school math [ 2 Answers ]

What is the total cost if the tip is 15% and the subtotal is 85$

Elementary School Convocations [ 1 Answers ]

I am responsible for scheduling convocations for our 3rd through 5th grade Elementary School. Does anybody know of any programs or convocations that they would recommend? I specifically am looking for convos that pertain to physical education, art or music. Has anybody seen any neat programs that...

My elementary school sweetheart [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, So my elementary school sweetheart pops back into my life about every 5 years. When we were kids we had a crush on each other but we did the usual kid things, he picked on me and I was mean in return. Both of our mothers are close friends so over the years of us not seeing each other and dating...

View more questions Search