Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duece22022 Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Jan 19, 2010, 08:27 AM
    She texted me happy birthday.
    Threads merged

I have been no contact for a month in a half. She just texted me happy birthday. Should I reply. This is the first time in a month that I have heard anything from her. I know all she is trying to say is happy birthday and there is no hidden message. Should I say thank you or just ignore it?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 08:32 AM

I would ignore if I were you, unless you can give a quick reply without over thinking it. By you replying you will most likely take a step back, so to me I think the best option is to ignore.
    UnluckyDucky Posts: 210, Reputation: 110

Jan 19, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Not knowing the full details of your situation, my default answer would to be ignore it.

I'm with kc on this one, there would be some rare circumstances where I might suggest a quick and short "Thank you" reply, under the expectation that the conversation would end there and you would go back to NC immediately.

Jan 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
    You I am still in the coping phase. I am actively trying to get over her. I think this might set me back. I'm not going to respond, but does this make me look immature by ignoring her?
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 08:52 AM

It makes you look like you are looking out for yourself and moving on the way you see fit. Her image of you no longer matters, so you just do what you have to do. She lost the privilege of having influence on your image once the relationship ended.

Jan 19, 2010, 08:53 AM
    What about reminders/objects?
    Threads merged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I am in the anger stage. My ex g/f broke up with me about 6 weeks ago. We have been together for 6 years. I really want to send her all the objects and reminders of our relationship. For 2 reasons: 1) I really want to get over her and I don't want all this **** that reminds me of her. I think it will help me move on. 2) I want her to have all the reminders and I guess I want her to feel pain as well. Maybe she wants some of the stuff she made me like the calendars and the pictures.
    I just don't have the balls to throw this stuff away. I am so confused. I know how vindictive and immature it sounds if I send this stuff to her. But a part of me doesn't care. I want to move on. Do you guys think this is a good idea? I don't want this crap stuffed away in my attic. Please give feedback.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 08:54 AM

No, it makes it seem like you have other stuff to do besides answer that text.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 08:55 AM

Just throw it out man, when you go looking for revenge, make sure to dig two graves. Stop looking to retaliate, for whatever reason the relationship didn't work out, just box the memories up and put them to the curb.

Jan 19, 2010, 09:16 AM
    I meant to post that on the disscusion board
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by duece22022 View Post
    i ment to post that on the disscusion board
    This is a relationship type question, so it would have been moved from the disccusion board to here anyway.

Why don't you have a friend help you box up all the items and hide them somewhere that you won't know about, so that you're not tempted to look for it?

Jan 22, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Should I send it?
    Threads merged

Please someone tell me a reason why I shouldn't send my ex a letter that I wrote to her.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:10 AM

Because she's your ex and No contact is the best way to go.

Send the letter and you're just setting yourself up for more hurt.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 09:26 AM

Because it starts as one letter, then a text to see if she got it, then another if she got that text because she didn't respond to you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Because it starts out as one letter, then a text to see if she got it, then another if she got that text because she didn't respond to you.
    Exactly!

If the OP is really honest with himself, he doesn't want to send the letter to clear things up, he wants to send it to open the lines of communication again.

She doesn't need a letter, it's over, she knows that, now it's time for you to figure it out.
    willshire Posts: 5, Reputation: 4

Jan 22, 2010, 09:33 AM

I would say that it depends on how you are approaching this and what you are trying to accomplish. Despite going into NC for about a month, my ex- and I had a brief e-mail exchange that actually did help to provide additional closure. You absolutely need to already have that though. If this is still fresh, I think a cool off period is a necessity in order to get rid of irrational, panicky feelings.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
    please someone tell me a reason why i shouldn't send my ex a letter that i wrote to her.
    Because you have better things to do with your time.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 09:48 AM

Because it won't change anything-she's still your ex.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:51 AM

What purpose do you think it will do ?
    Why did you write it to start with

Jan 22, 2010, 09:55 AM

Because I am doing NC right now and its been a month and I still can't get over her. I really miss her, even though I'm trying not to.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
    because i am doing NC right now and its been a month and i still can't get over her. I really miss her, even though i'm trying not to.
    You need to give yourself more credit. A month isn't very long and I know it took longer for me to get over someone I loved than a month. Try 6-10 months in reality. Be strong and we'll give you plenty of support. It is good to get your emotions out on a letter but then rip it up. Be patient man, this is a long process. We've all been there so we know it's hard.

I for one am proud of you! Keep up the good work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I send my adult son a birthday gift when he usually doesn't send me one? [ 13 Answers ]

My son will be 26 in March. He has always been a good kid and is usually very thoughtful. The one thing that bothers me terribly is that he doesn't send me a birthday gift or card. He always remembers to call. He also doesn't send any gift/card to his dad. Sometimes, he willl remember us on...

Can't send from OE [ 1 Answers ]

Can't sen email through outlook express said my number are in valid

What do I send with 1040X and when? [ 1 Answers ]

Last week I e-filed my 2008 tax return with HR Block with 1040EZ. I realized yesterday that I could have deducted my student loan interest (form 1098E). I used HR Block to enter that info in and got a 1040A which is what I should have done. Though I couldn't submit the changes online. Anyway I used...

Should I send something! [ 4 Answers ]

I wanted to send someone flowers to say sorry to them, Does it seem weird to send flowers to a guy.We had a silly misunderstanding which was all my fault. So what do you think.

View more questions Search