Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nzer Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed
    Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for breaking him of this would be great. I have bought him a new comfy dog bed which I am going to endeavour to get him to use. Wish me luck, as I just cannot have him in our room, its just too disturbing. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
    If it doesn't go well, you can always crate him. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.
    goyinuser Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 08:22 AM
    BalanceFormula.com :: Get Balanced

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Since all the lawyers are sleeping [ 7 Answers ]

My original question was not getting any play. So instead I will just say Hello,I am new to this sight and it seems a very comfortable and interesting place to visit. Hope to be of some help and maybe get some in return.speak to you all soon.Steve G:

Dog sleeping in our bed? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I don't know why we did but we did. We decided that this is probably not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At...

Do I have a sleeping disorder? [ 21 Answers ]

Im am so tired these days. Im having problems sleeping at night no matter how tired I am. It doesn't happen every night but at least twice a week. I have to be up Mon - Fri at 7.30am, and some days at work I still feel asleep. I don't believe I have anything on my mind keeping me up, but I...

Sleeping issues... again? :eek: [ 6 Answers ]

It's me again with a sleeping issue question. Although, this time it's not about nutrition... I'm with my girl for 5 and a half months now. We like each other a lot, have great respect for one another and enjoy our time together a lot. We can talk about everything and I'm not shy about telling...

Is my puppy sleeping too much? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund puppy that is about 8 weeks old. We have only had him two days, but he sure does sleep a lot. When he is awake he is playful, but not like other large breed puppies I have had. Should I be worried? I made an appt. with the vet in about two weeks... should I try to move it...

View more questions Search