Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diana Gause Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 07:01 AM
    I have a wage garnishment out of my pay check for ambulance bill can they do this
    I have a wage garnishment from SC levy against my paycheck for anmbulance bill, can my employer do this
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:13 AM
    If there is a judgment against you, your employer has no choice. Do you owe the bill? Have you not paid it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 21, 2010, 07:28 AM

To obtain a wage garnishment, the creditor has to obtain a judgment. Once they have a judgment they can obtain a garnishment order. Your employer is legally bound to honor such a court order.

For it to get this far, you had to have ignored many requests for payment. Why haven't you tried to settle before it got this far?

Jan 21, 2010, 08:31 AM
    I have no no court order or civil order against me by the courts. The ambulace collection company went to SC levy wages and turned in ambulance bills that dated back to 2001 - 2009, at address I have never lived at, and because they went through the SC wage and labor, my employer just started deducting my pay on that reason

Jan 21, 2010, 08:34 AM

There is no garnishment order or judgement.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Please be patient. We are all volunteers here. We don't sit behind a bank of computers and answer questions. We are real people with real lives and real jobs. It can take anywhere from a matter of minutes to a day to get responses.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jan 21, 2010, 01:36 PM

As ScottGem noted above there has to a judgement in order to garnish your wages.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:12 PM

Your employer has to have been served with a court order to garnish your wages.

They must have gotten a judgement without your knowledge, you will have to go back to with the judgement over turned because of no service.

On the other hand, if you really do owe it, why not just pay it
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 21, 2010, 07:26 PM

Ask your employer for copies of the order of garnishment. It will provide list a court and docket number. You can use that info to find out what happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is to pay wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

How much is to pay garnishment from $1500. I live in California

Bill for emergency ambulance services 5 years ago! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. On May 23, 2003 I was alone in my car, going straight, driving home form work and was hit by a another driver attempting to make a left turn at an intersection in Brooklyn, NY. At the time I had full coverage on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The jeep was totaled, and I subsequently had to...

I Used E/Check for bill pay- [ 1 Answers ]

WHen I tried to make a payment for my phone bill,I did so online,using bill pay.I tried to pay 196_and change, and wrongly entered $1,939.00 and thought I had corrected the amount,but directly decided to make the second payment.. and make it even $200.00,Both payments authorized and now are posted...

Ambulance bill in collection ( quebec) [ 3 Answers ]

A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS LIVING IN MONTREAL QUEBEC HAS A VERY VERY GOOD CREDIT( or I WOULD SAY hAd a very very good credit), he went to a bar and had a little too much and fell on the floor , the bar owner called the ambulance. The ambulance came and took him to the hospital and relesed him after...

View more questions Search