Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 03:12 PM

Hi tapemeasure, please don't take the drug Naproxen, especially if you have a stomach problem.I was taking this for a number of years, until I asked a different doctor for a repeat perscription one day.

It was refused point blank.There was no way she would perscribe this drug to me, saying that it was an anti- inflamatory drug and that I should not have been taking this at any time, due to my stomach problem, it was very dangerous.

I explained that my stomach had been particularly bad and that my regular GP told me just to double up on the omeprazole,which was what I'd been doing, I would take Naproxen for my bone problems and in fact had I gone to my regular GP would have been given them without question.

Any anti-inflamitory drug or aspirin should not be taken if you have any kind of stomach problem, they can be an irritant and also make you feel really sick... as in my case.

I'm just wandering if you are creating some sort of vicious circle, by that I mean, could it be that when you are in pain you take what ever, to relieve it... as I have done... then you get pain and feel sick, so you try something else which just adds to the problem... which I also have done, in a bid to relieve the symptoms, but in fact have only compounded them, maybe that is what you are doing!

The pain under or around your ribs is the acid leaking from your stomach, this I think is affecting the bottom of your lungs causing inflammation and of course the pain. ( PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A DOCTOR, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NURSED, YOU MUST SEE YOUR OWN DOCTOR FOR A CORRECT DIAGNOSES )

I only say this because these are the same symptoms as my own, which were explained to me by my GP.

I have been told that there is an operation that you can have, but the success rate isn't very good so I'd preferr not to go through it due to several health problems I have already.

I find by watching what I eat and also drink,not to mention what painkillers I take etc, things are just manageble at the moment by taking lots of stomach liquid through out the day and by trying not to lift things that are to heavy etc.. not easy in my job.
    You get good and bad days.

I hope tapemeasure you can get this to a level where you will be able to manage it,the pain can be severe and sometimes unbearable.

I'm presuming that you have had all the test for any stomach infection! If not ask for a blood test to be done for the... pylori bacteria ( not sure I have spelt that correctly, but if you pronounce how it is spelt to a doctor, they will know what you mean.
    Important that you get it done if not already.

6.0.clock start so I'll close here, hope you feel better soon.
    Tapemeasure Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Thank you Orphan. No I won't be taking Naproxen or anything like that again. Well.yes I have been on a lot of medications especially anti sick. I got a prepayment certificate for the year or it would have cost me a fortune. I've never found any meds to eork for me that's why I am so desperate. The pain has been so bad recently with a tightness in the chest,that I hve been in hospital this week. They didn't know what to do for me.I rang the doctor tonight because I have been in so much pain. They can do nothing only tell me to take painkillers which is only codeine and paracetamols. I was very stressed today though whe I got up so that wouldn't help it. What can I do? I take the omeprazole and even an antidepressant. I struggled to eat anythng today and have a tight feeling in my left chest. My lungs are fine, I have asthma and have had pain in the lungs because of infection and this is more muscle pain and some oesophagus pain. I feel like a right moaner by now but suffer more and more. I don't go out much and turn friends down because of this and can't be sick every day. I feel like Chris Sands who suffered so long and was so desperate to get his stomach problem sorted out and his hiccups. He was so brave and went through so much. He had that One show on his side,I wish they would do it for me,though mines the stomach not the hiccups. What am I like? I can't stop thinking of him,I hope he's OK now.
    No I have not had H pylori test done the docs don't seem to want to do any tests for me. I have all the symptoms of Gord and I'm dismissed. I can't carry on like this I can't work because I am always sick and even gave a keyboard class up because of it.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 31, 2010, 11:52 PM

You will benefit from Manuka Honey UMF 16+, which is found in the health food store. I was very sick with an ulcer and couldn't eat, until I went on this honey and started to slowly get better. Now, I am completely healed.

You start with 3 TBSP per day and move down to 1 as you get better. (The website I gave you says 1tsp, but the more the better it was for me to heal). It won't take long to notice a difference, but it will take many months towards a cure. You may have other probs, besides GERD, but I know how awful it is to feel sick. These meds have given you a lot of damage that can be undone. It also greatly builds up your immune system.

It has to be UMF 16+ or higher. It is known to also cause an environment where H. pylori can not thrive.

Active Manuka Honey is used for Acid Reflux, Heartburn, Stomach Ulcers, now available in the USA

Feb 1, 2010, 06:12 AM
    I am panicking about eating as everything comes up. I know the panicking doesn't help but it has been going on for so long now. My stomach doesn't lke anything too sweet at the moment rosemcs. I'm a bit scared to try the honey at the moment. I have a real problem as things did improve and then got very bad again with worse refluxing. My hospital does not want to know and they are not keen to even give me an appointment with a gastroenterologist. I'm afraid now that I will starve to death. Eatig is such a drag with reflux all the time.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 1, 2010, 07:29 AM

Not trying to scare you Tapemeasure, but I nearly did starve to death before I got so much better.., though, I am currently having a hard time with reflux again because I stopped taking my prescriptions. After my esophagus got so sick that I couldn't swallow without most of it splashing into my lungs, I lost so much weight I was down to 86 pounds.

Then I got my first feeding tube and was put on enteral feeding. That was infected from the moment it was put in and barely kept me alive while I struggled with an infection for a year and a half. All the while I was on prescriptions for reflux, having terrible side effects which just got worse and worst, till now I decided it is a qualilty of life issue and I cannot tolerate the side effects any more. I got my second feeding tube and high calorie enteral nutrition formula and was able to gain enough weight that finally put me in a healthy range, 115 pounds. I am 5 feet and 5 inches tall.

I had LOTS of problems with my tubes and other health problems (RA) and ended up with a huge ulcer last August. At that time I was told that my esophagus was completely healed, but that I would have to continue to take the prescriptions Famotidine, Ranitidine, and Sucralfate for the rest of my life...

No can do. You know what else doesn't work for me? The anti-emetics. I had several of those prescribed too and I get nothing but sicker when I take them.

I asked to have the tube removed from my stomach since my esophagus is healed and I can now swallow enough food to maintain healthy weight. Doctor said he would remove it IF I would not use it for a whole month and did not lose weight. I've been able to not use it now since last September, but I haven't gone back to the GI doc yet because it takes FOREVER to get an appointment with them. Plus I dread another procedure. I'm way past due to get a stomach biopsy, I was told I needed a follow-up stomach biopsy because when I had the ulcer they ruled out Helicobacter pylori as a cause and said the entire lining of my stomach is thickened, so might be cancer. More likely it is just irritation from the high acid content.

I think the honey is helping. Most of the time I enjoy eating, but I have to take Mylanta and Tums every day, and I wake up several times at night with fire in my esophagus, sooooo~ I do fear I will develop Barrett's esophagus again without taking the prescriptions. While on the drugs my life is not worth living.

I hope you find help soon!

Feb 7, 2010, 03:08 PM
    Hi thisisit, well guess what I have had a right time of it. I have been in hospital again with reflux and being sick,also the most horrendous pain in my oephagus. It started last week and I was in EMU overnight. I got heart checks and blood tests. Then back in again,back out then back in where it got so bad I couldn't even keep water down. I was in so much pain. The doctors wanted to sen me home but I protested and got sent to a ward Monday. I was in with stroke victims and finally got an endoscope. It showed gastritis and they were supposed to do a test for H Pylori but I never got any results.The doctors were so patronising and said that my high prolactin level was due to antisick medicine. I wasn't told anything but eventually got to see a gastroenterologist. He put me on 2 Lansoprazole tablets day and metoclopramide. I have been on these before. I hope they help this time. Why don't they do more for people with stomach problems.
    Poor you what you have been through I saw a lady on feeding tubes. I have pain inside now but hope the other pain don't come back.I hope yocan resolve your stomach issues,what you going to do if it gets bad again?I daren't not take the meds now but I feel rotten on them too. Love tapemeasure julie

Feb 7, 2010, 04:07 PM

I don't know what I'm going to do... Sorry about all the troubles you are having too. I know when my esophagus was really bad the pain was sometimes like a sharp knife ripping up the full length of it, the pain would bring me to my knees.

My GP called me last week to tell me they were trying to schedule another appointment for me with a GI and if I had not heard anything by Monday to call them. I haven't heard anything, so I guess I'm going to call. Since I can't take the medicine, I'm very worried I'm going to get really sick again and I just don't know if I want to go through more surgery, like if I got my tube out, then had to have it put in again. I hate it though, so I don't know. I'm just going to go, when I can get an appointment, and lay it all on the table and talk all my options over with the doc. I wish there was something simple, like a magic wand
    :(

I can say this much: All the GI doctors I've seen are kind and, at least the ones who treat me, have understood my quality of life issues.

Feb 7, 2010, 05:19 PM
    If I were you I would see the doctor soon as you can. I had acid come up over 3 months ago from stopping taking Lansopazole. I've been sick since then. Its been a nightmare and not even as bad as yours. If acid comes up you are in a mess. Its horrible not being able to eat isn't it. I liked to go to Indian restaurants before and now can't. I saw different docs in hospital don't kow who they were but one gastro is really nice. I see him in two weeks and hopng medcation works this time. The only alternative you now is surgery. If I worked it would mean you healed but it's a risk. I'm asthmatic as well so surgery is a greater risk to me. The nurse and docs here say that they can't wave a magic wand,we know that. I will pray anyway for you. You should be seeing a GI regularly. I had to fight to see one as well ,they wre going to thro me out of hospital and do nothing.

Feb 8, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Howare you thisisit? Have you been to the doctors yet? I feel quite rough on Lansoprazole and metoclopramide but not been sick. I'm trying to eat a bit better. Its hurting though. The pain is sharp. I do hope you can get through it. I know how I have suffered so know its great suffering you have. Let me know how you get on. Get well soon Julie

Feb 8, 2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks Julie. I was on hold for an hour today with the GI office. Finally I got through only to be told that my GP has to be the one that calls. I told them I didn't think anyone in my doctor's office would stay on hold for an hour and that my GP's office had told me to call them because they had sent a FAX referral last week, so they told me to have my doctor's office call on Wed. They told me the earliest I can get in is a month.

Thanks for your concern. I hope you can manage OK on the meds and I hope they control your symptoms so you can get on with living life to its fullest! I can't take Lansopraxole, I get a terrible painful stiff neck after just a couple days. Metoclopramide is one med I have not tried.

I'm sure whenever I do get in at the GI, they will have new drugs for me to try. And I will try them and I have hopes that something is going to work, or at least I hope I'm told I'll be OK with the Mylanta and Tums and diet and honey... I've actually had some luck with my diet and using honey, but still I have reflux that feels like it is eating a whole in my esophagus again.

Good luck to you too! And I hope you are well soon as well, Sharlene.

Feb 10, 2010, 06:15 AM
    How are you now Sharlene? I hope you find the right meds. I went to my friends yesterday as it was her birthday. I manged to eat chocolate cake,crisps and to drink Schloer. So the meds are working. I feel terrible though,drowsy and a bit dizzy. I still have some pain inside. I feel that it is getting somehere at long last. I'm not being sick. I haven't tried honey but Aloe vera is supposed to be good. I hope you find the right meds soon as its got to heal up. My gastro just said had to get rid of the bile reflux. Metoclopramide helps with this. He said I colud be getting gastro oesophagal reflux. I suppose it just means I've got to keep the acid down.
    Try and get a gastro appointment then bring it forward on choose and book if you can. Love Julie

Feb 10, 2010, 06:41 AM

Thanks Julie, no appointment yet for me. Good to hear your meds are starting to work for you! Yesterday we had a big blizzard, so no one at the GI office was answering phones. My regular doctor's office WAS open though and they called me again and told me again to call the GI office and tell them they FAXed all my info, including last 2 hospitalizations last week and they shouldn't need anything else to make my appointment. So, I'll try again today.

I'm happy for you that you were able to eat and celebrate at your friend's birthday party! That is progress :)
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 10, 2010, 11:49 AM

Just a side note--the worst things for an ulcer and reflux/gerd is chocolate and anything acidic, such as soda or alcohol.

I tried aloe vera juice when I was really sick (by the boatload) but it did not work as the honey did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get Gastric Bypass? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 5'6" and I weighed 200 in June of 07'... now.. march 01st of 08 I weight 255... happened?. I don't eat ne differently.. I don't work out that much but I never really have... I mean do I need to get this done?. ive tried everything and I just can't lose the weight! It just keeps adding up... and...

Gastric bypass after or before conception [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 35 yrs old. I weigh 205 and am 5'2. I have never been this big! My husband is a great in house chef and his cooking is irresistible. I have lost the discipline to say no. I am considering gastric bypass surgery. Should I proceed before we conceive? (If we hadn't already) or wait until...

Pain medication and acid reflux [ 4 Answers ]

I've had some stomach problems in the past months. One time my stomach burned for like a whole week straight. Until I finally went to the doctor and they gave me some medication for acid. It went away in a couple days. Then I thought it was gone for good, until a couple months later it started...

Gastric bypass [ 4 Answers ]

I had gastric bipass surgery in 2003 . Greatest thing I ever did. I have lost 142 lbs. Now how to get rid of skin other that surgery? I keep exersizing? HELP!! ANY SUGESTIONS? THANKS

View more questions Search