Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    empressoffrance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 10:22 AM
    What happens when u quit oxycontin cold turkey
    I am muscling oxy for pain relief. I have tolerated this drug and want to get off it. I cannot tell my dr, he will have a fit. I never had a problem tapering off other opiates but this one is so scary and the night is hell. I find cold packs help. I have clonazepam and the dr also put me on tramadol for break through but I feel like a drug addict now. I am so scared to tell anyone. I am down to 80 a day from 160. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much. Anyone going through this has my sympathy and best wishes.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 20, 2010, 10:32 AM

Why do you think your doctor would have a FIT because you developed a problem with a drug your doctor prescribed?? IF your doctor cannot handle the natural consequences of prescribing dangerous addictive drugs and dangerous drug combinations (opiates with benzodiazapines), he/she should be reported to the state medical board. Please talk to your doctor about this asap. You cannot just stop an opiate/benzodiazapine addiction with sheer will power alone. This is a dangerous addiction that can have deadly consequences if you are not tappered off under the supervision of your doctor. I have a friend who almost died from that. You are not the first or only person who got addicted to medication their doctor prescribed. Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    Why do you think your doctor would have a FIT because you developed a problem with a drug your doctor prescribed??? IF your doctor cannot handle the natural consequences of prescribing dangerous addictive drugs and dangerous drug combinations (opiates with benzodiazapines), he/she should be reported to the state medical board. Please talk to your doctor about this asap. You cannot just stop an opiate/benzodiazapine addiction with sheer will power alone. This is a dangerous addiction that can have deadly consequences if you are not tappered off under the supervision of your doctor. I have a friend who almost died from that. You are not the first or only person who got addicted to medication their doctor prescribed. Good luck.

I'm not reading that the Doctor prescribed it. I don't know where OP is getting the drugs/drugs he/she takes.

As far as reporting any Physician to any Medical Board - you need more facts before you can give this advice.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Jan 23, 2010, 08:16 PM

If I were you, I would confide in a friend or a family member. I have been where you are and the best way is a slow taper. You and your body iis dependent on those drugs. You don't really know what will happen. I went and talked to a person at my NA group meeting even though he wasn't happy about not involving a Dr.I had people there with me and that checked on me. Remember you just can't quit and pretend it never happened. Go to Na or Aa for support, It helps so much... Be safe and my thoughts are with you.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 23, 2010, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm not reading that the Doctor prescribed it. I don't know where OP is getting the drugs/drugs he/she takes.

As far as reporting any Physician to any Medical Board - you need more facts before you can give this advice.
    The thought that the OP was getting the drugs from somewhere other than the doctor had not crossed my mind. :o That is probably what the OP has done, and why he or she does not want to tell the doctor.
    knowldge is key Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 10:33 AM

I myself am dealing with this problem I am prescribed roxys 30mg I have devolped a severe habit I have tried to quit cold turkey made it three days before almost being rushed to the hospital I started having severe muscle spasms and was hyperventalating it was a very scary moment I was able to obtain a couple of roxys and within a couple of minutes I was feeling better don't understand how something can have so much control I sugest getting help from a doctor even if there are consequences that is my next step I figure if you are honest and sincere your doctor should respect that and understand that you are there for help I don't suggest anyone try this on there own you will ned help and as I said is very dangerous to do cold turkey.also ask your doctor about suboxone I have heard it is the way to go.
    knowldge is key Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Also if anyone has first hand testimony about suboxone please let me know. Also I wish the best for anyone trying to kick a habit not just narcotics but any habit that stops you from being your true self. Best of luck
    Oxy80MgMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 12:50 AM
    SUBOXONE IS A MIRACLE DRUG... I was snorting 3-6 80s a day and went to rehab.They gave me suboxone,flexeral, and motrin every6 hrs. But as for the suboxone it works very well, yeah you will still have some body aches but that pill keeps your mind off oxys. Go to a suboxone clinic and get put on it. Depending on the person you can quit within 3-4 days. I WOULD Recommend SUBOXONE TO ANYONE. Hope you get past this cause OxyCotin helps for pain but getting off it is HARD AS HELL. All I can saay is good luck and I hope you overcome that Devil Drug
    Penny williams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
    Due to a severe spinal injury and crushed calcaneus (both heels) I have been on Oxy for 11 yrs 30 mg BID. If I miss a dose my pain is significantly worse, so I made decision years ago that opiates were better than being a couch potato. Unfortunately, my husband has divorced me for a much younger woman and I am now without health insurance as I can't afford COBRA. My cost at CVS is $450.99 for 30 day supply which I cannot afford. Looks like I'll be going cold turkey and then be in misery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycontin? [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that this pill was an 80 mg oxycontin,problem is... it was pink an ha a G on he opof the pill and below the g was 164... I know what 80mg oxycontins looklike... can anyone tell me what this guy was trying to give me?? Thanks a lot!!

Oxycontin in your system [ 2 Answers ]

How long does Oxycontin stay in your system?

Over use of Oxycontin [ 2 Answers ]

I started at 10 mg of oxycontin, twice a day. Then to 20 mg. twice a day. Then to 40 my up to 3 times per day, now I take 80 mg 3 times per day. I also take a muscle relaxer 3 times a day. When pain starts getting bad or a headache turning into a migraine, I also take T-3's 2 -with codeine at a...

Cold turkey [ 6 Answers ]

Oh hello again, for those of you who have seen my other posts! Ok so, it's finally happening... My semester finally ended and I am home. The last three weeks of school I hardly had any work to do and wanted to live it up with my friends. Therefore I was drinking every night and smoking pot and...

Oxycontin withdrawals [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend did oxycontin for about 4 months, so he says. He said that his withdrawal wasn't that bad. I know from reading the withdrawal is hell. I'm wondering if the withdrawal for oxycontin varies with the length that a person does it. Say does 4 months differ from someone using it for 6...

View more questions Search