Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mntgrl34 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Positive HPT Negative Blood Test?
    Hello all - I am asking if anyone has ever experienced the following and what the outcome was.

I took a HPT (e.p.t. +/-) at 11 dpo and 12 dpo and got a very clear faint positive within 30 sec. Two days later I was given a pos/neg blood test at my doctor's office and got a negative. However, with my other two pregnancies (10 and 15 yrs. Ago) my Hcg levels were low to begin with but climbed steadily once they got going.

I decided to wait a week before I tested again but started to spot (only on tp) dark red blood mixed with what looked like ewcm. This went on for three days getting less and less. I had very mild menstrual-like cramping only upon waking. The blood seemed like a lot on the tp because it was stretchy, but when wearing a pantyliner only a few watery smears were present (this happened on 16, 17, 18 dpo), if I am right about the O time. Also, my breasts were sore and swollen up until I started to bleed - now they are somewhat back to normal with a little bit of tenderness on my breast wall.

The Doctor is away and it's the weekend - could I be miscarrying? Please tell your story if it sounds similar. Lately, my only symptoms are leg cramps (achiness), cold, night sweats, tired, and I feel like my head is in the clouds. Once in a while I feel strange poking behind belly button area.

Just need someone's opinion -- this is driving me crazy:eek:
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Nov 29, 2006, 12:05 PM
    I don't want to discourage you - but this happened to me last month...

Got a positive urine test - but the blood test was negative...

I didn't have a miscarriage - the doctor said that I probably had a 'chemical pregnancy' - but I wasn't far along at all. I ended up having to take 'Provera' to induce my period - they I took my third round of Clomid. And I found out Saturday that we are expecting... so it'll happen.

But try to think positive... you very well could still be pregnant! My Mom had her period for the first 3 months of her pregnancys. It'll be OK - your dr. will be able to confirm everything.

As far as the belly button pains - I read somewhere that is a common early pregnancy sympton. It's your uterus growing & the extra blood flow.

Good Luck!

Nov 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Thank you, Charlie123. I did find out that it was a chemical pregnancy, also. It is very frustrating to get your hopes up and then have them shattered month after month.

My doctor finally put me on Provera and this is only the second day, and then Clomid after that. I think I ovulated yesterday according to my chart - I wonder if the timing is okay with the Provera.

My DH is out of the country for business right now, so we will have to wait until January to BD. I am going to visit him from January 11 through January 26. Hopefully the timing of the Provera and Clomid will get me ovulating and coincide with that date.

Congratulations to you - I hope you have a very healthy pregnancy!

Nov 29, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Let's see here - my AF started on day 9 of Provera - started Clomid on 3rd day of cycle - ovulated day 14 (starting from day 1 of AF) & found out I was pregnant 16 days after ovulation. SO lets see...

If you are on day 2 of Provera - hopefully you will ovulate - think you will be most fertile Dec. 19 - but if you ovulate late then the first of January will be perfect. HAve you ever done at home ovulation tests? That will take a lot of the guess work out of it. Good Luck!

THe only other thing I can think of... maybe ask your doctor to coincide your medicine so you will be most fertile during the time you will be with your husband. Good Luck!

Nov 29, 2006, 02:45 PM
    Wow, your conception sounds textbook. I sure hope my dates are that perfect. Did you have a hard time with your cervical mucus because of Clomid? If you did, did you use anything to help like evening primrose oil or pre-seed?

I think maybe I will ask my Dr. if I can take the Clomid on CD 3 instead of 5, since I usually (when I do) ovulate late. I have already played out every scenario for possible AF dates and ovulation while on Provera and Clomid. Hopefully it will work for ovulation between January 14 - 26.

No, I have never used an opk. I only started temping last month and before that I went strictly on cm and ovulation pain. Maybe I should get one. I heard that if you are on Provera and Clomid there is a high chance of false positives. I didn't want to spend the money on one if it was not going to be accurate. Did you have problems with yours? Well, obviously not since you are now pregnant. I am so happy for you!

Nov 29, 2006, 06:01 PM
    When I got pregnant with my son I took Provera then Clomid - and it worked on the 1st round... this time I tried to get pregnant for about a year on my own with no positive results. I have a hard time with my AF - I would go for months & not have it. I just don't ovulate regularly. The Dr. put me on Clomid again - 1st month I ovulated really early & didn't think that I did - the 2nd month got the positive pregnancy urine test & negative blood test - & I had to take Provera once again to make my AF come. And this month I took Provera & Clomid & 16 days after I ovulated I was pregnant! So taking both Provera & Clomid during the same cycle worked out for me!

I never heard about Provera & Clomid giving false positives - I would try to wait until at least 14 days past ovulation before taking a pregnancy test - because one of the downfalls of having the early pregnancy tests is it shows up & then you still may get your AF (because you miscarried - most people don't even know then just think it's a heavy AF).

As far as the at home ovulation kits - I never had any problems really. I got 6 positive ovulation tests in a row last month (which was odd) but come to find out I was pregnant. I think the false positives come when you start doing the ovulation tests too close to last Clomid pill you take. I know one month I was anxious & started testing on the day after I took my last pill - & it was positive. I would suggest getting a whole month supply - I bought the brand Answer (it was a pack of 20 strips for about $20) & start testing 5 days after you take your last Clomid pill. I kept a calender of it to help me keep up with it. I didn't have a hard time with my cervical mucus nor did I chart my temperature - but I know that some people have had success with keeping up with it. (It was enough work peeing on a stick everyday & keeping up my calender - I didn't want to add another task to obsessing over having a baby:) Good Luck - maybe it'll happen this month! I read somewhere that the majority of women will conceive in the first 3 months on Clomid. Please keep me posted!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative test and pregnancy symptoms [ 14 Answers ]

I am so confused my periods are usually irregular I was supposed to of started my period around April 17 or so but, I had unprotected sex with my husband April 20th. I am not on birth control. Well on May 1st I had what I thought was my period and I think was my period but, it lasted 2 days. It...

How many days after a known ovulation date can a positive pregnancy test show? [ 15 Answers ]

I have been taking the medicine Clomid & have been really trying to get pregnant. My question is simple - I know the best time to test for pregnancy is after your missed period but my number of days between change. Last month it was 28 days & I circled the day on my calender that I could take an...

False Positive Pregnancy Test [ 7 Answers ]

I was wanting some sympathy I went to the doctor last Thursdayto have some blood work done since I had not started my period. They took a urine pregnancy test & there WAS a really faint line - which suggested that I was pregnant. I was SOOOOO excited! I was really surprised because I didn't really...

Missed Period/ Negative pregnant. Test [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm joelle and I'm 21 yrs old. I went off the mircette birth control pill in October and for two months I had periods that came about 6 weeks apart... before going off the pill and before I started the pill they were like clockwork every 28 days. But I did get those two periods of normal length...

Causing a negative pregnancy test? [ 2 Answers ]

I a supposed to leave for Basic Training next week... A few weeks ago I found out I was pregnant, had a d&c, so I a no longer pregnant. However, my hcg levels are still being detected by a pregnancy tests. Is there anything I can drink or do to get my hcg levels to drop back to normal more quick?...

View more questions Search