Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jacky381 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
    How many days notice do you have to give in order to get your deposit back
    My boyfriend and I rented a 3 bedroom house in ellsworth Kansas and I was not on the lease we got into a fight and broke up and the landlord didn't like me so since I was not on the lease she gave me 2 days to get all of my stuff and move out. I also have two small children ages 1 and 2 so I had to find someone to watch them and move all of my things out in a blizzard. Now we are back together and she won't give us our deposit because she is saying that my boyfriend did not give her 30 days notice. I was told that the law is really 2 weeks and we gave her two weeks. I'm not sure what to do but it's $600 that she owes us. We even sent a cleaning lady in after we moved out and the house was cleaner when we moved out than when we moved in what should we do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2010, 05:05 PM

First, You were a resident and she had no right to kick you out. Even though you were not on the lease, you were still a resident, and had to be legally evicted.

Moreover, since you were not on the lease she had no right to evict you, only the boyfriend could and he still had to do it legally.

But since you left semi-voluntarily you basically lost your rights on that end.

Who told you the law was two weeks? Generally this should be spelled out in the lease. But Kansas law says 30 days if the rental period is monthly. So, you could be held responsible for the remaining period.

When did your boyfriend move out? What notice did the landlord give about how she was using the deposit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 07:32 PM

Agreed, they could not make you move in 2 days, you could have just said no. They had to go though the legal eviction process, and court.

Also I agree, there has to be a 30 day notice on a month to month rental. Next you said lease, so the lease will give a time frame, many leases often say 60 days, but you need to see what your ( or his) lease said. Next if the lease is not over, you can't just give notice anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

My tenant did not give proper or written notice, still return deposit? [ 3 Answers ]

I rented out a room to someone in my condo that I also resided in, in California. She vacated one night at 1:30 in the morning, but did not give written notice or return the keys. She also stole my car that night on her way out (but that's a separate issue to the security deposit and she did...

Do I still have to give 30 days notice after being served a 3-day notice? [ 28 Answers ]

My landlord served me with a 3-day notice which is titled "3-day notice to pay rent or lease terminates." I didn't pay the back rent in that time, so is the lease terminated? I am planning to move within a few weeks, on June 15, and have given him written notice of that, but his agent is now...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search