Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tumbz Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 04:35 PM
    2001 Civic Manual Trans Hard Shift and Clicks
    Ok... I had another thread which I started because all of a sudden, when it got cold in NYC, my Stick felt like there was pressure when I try to shift to 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. I would have to wiggle it in neutral and shift it slowly in order for it to engage into gear.

Txgreasemonkey helped me solve the problem by changing the tranny fluid + bleeding the slave cylinder, which solved the problem, but now its back again.

Nowww. Its been about 1 week since I changed both the tranny fluid + bled the slave cylinder.

The pressure is back... Its not even as cold as last week. Only now, when I put my stick into gear and step on the gas, I hear a " CLICK ".

If I leave gear in neutral and step on gas, there's NO CLICK.

So now, I have 2 problems. The hard shifting ( feels like pressure ) is back and also I hear a click in every gear whenever I step on gas!.

Hmmm... I don't think I need my whole clutch changed because I read that if I can move the car from a STOP using 4th gear then the clutch still is good. I CAN... So I think I have more clutch left.

What else could be the problem? Should I just change the slave cylinder?? Its not leaking...

Please help... THANKS

Jan 18, 2010, 04:38 PM

I really hope you guys could help me solve this problem, because I am NOT rich and the damn mechanic quoted me about $460 to change the clutch!! I am not going to pay for that! Plus, I have more clutch left! I know its something else!

Please help... =( Where are you TxGreaseMonkey!

Jan 18, 2010, 05:38 PM

I just ordered a Clutch Slave Cylinder... I hope that's the problem...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 05:47 PM

It's hard to say what's wrong from afar. Before removing the clutch slave cylinder, I would remove the boot, as discussed before, and observe the slave cylinder in action. It may be the slave cylinder or something else (e.g. worn synchros).

Jan 19, 2010, 03:15 PM

Ok... Ill remove the rubber thing and ask someone to press clutch and see the action.

Jan 19, 2010, 03:17 PM
    If its worn syncros, would I have to replace the whole clutch? Are there ways to check for worn syncros?
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2010, 03:37 PM

You would have to have the transmission rebuilt. The problem usually develops from not changing the transmission fluid frequently enough--every two years or 24,000 miles.

Jan 21, 2010, 11:27 AM

Tx, just as quick update. The pressure was due to lack of lubrication... LOL... A mech lubed up something under the hood and the pressure is gone!

Its so smooth now! I was so happy driving all the way home... PLUS the AMSOIL that I added, my gearbox is now fixed!

THANKS SO MUCH!
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:36 AM

It was likely the clutch fork joint we talked about on the slave cylinder (remember the urea grease). Glad to hear it's now perfect. Remove the cover to the slave cylinder and you can probably see what he lubricated. He likely did not use the proper grease, which could present a problem down the road.

Jan 21, 2010, 11:40 AM

He removed the front part of the air intake... He lubed something under that... It was like a round thing. It was by the transmission. He was asking me to move the clutch in and out of 3rd gear + 4th gear while lubing the part. I think its starts with a " B "...

=)
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:42 AM

Now, I'm really curious. Call him and find out what he lubed.

Jan 21, 2010, 11:46 AM

It's a part that you can move the clutch from UNDER THE HOOD. He was moving my clutch from the hood. Do you know that part?
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:48 AM

Was it part of the shift linkage? I think it must have been the arm (clutch fork) that goes from the slave cylinder to the clutch. The contact point is what the super high temperature urea grease is supposed to lubricate.

Could the "B" stand for boot?

Jan 21, 2010, 11:50 AM

Yes! If the shift linkage could move the clutch from under the hood, then YES. He used WD40.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:53 AM

WD-40 is definitely not the proper lubricant. Try and carefully remove the clutch fork's rubber BOOT and lubricate it properly, after wiping any old grease and dirt away. WD-40 could easily cause the slave cylinder's seals to swell and lead to catastrophic slave cylinder failure.

Jan 21, 2010, 11:58 AM

He sprayed WD40 and put some purple grease on the shift linkage area... He put the purple grease on a round object... It wasn't anywhere near the clutch slave cylinder... Seems like what he did worked because it shift PERFECT now. I LOVE the AMSOIL! =)
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:05 PM

I just went out and did it on my Civic. Easy job.

Yes, the grease, not WD-40 sounds better. There is a ball on the end of the piston that goes to the slave cylinder. He may have used WD-40 to first clean the ball and then applied the purple grease, after pulling the BOOT aside.

I'm just glad it was not a problem with the synchros--that would have cost some serious money to fix.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:08 PM

Here are some maintenance tips to help you save a lot of money and enjoy your Civic to the max:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:23 PM

Honda calls for Super High Temp Urea Grease, P/N 08798-9002. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.inlinefour.com/hosuhiteurgr.html

Jan 21, 2010, 03:45 PM

As Always Tx, THANKSSSSSSSSSSS~!

^_____^;;

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 ford ranger edge v6. Trans fluid [ 1 Answers ]

This truck has 60,500 miles on it and this has the original trans fluid in it. Seems to be working fine. I hear two stories about changing trans fluid. One says you should change the filter too, one says flush only is fine. Which is true?

1996 GMC PU w/V6 and manual trans (wont start) [ 2 Answers ]

Intermittant "won't start" problems. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, fuel pump (twice), plugs and plug wires and fuel filter. There are no codes when I scan the computer and the truck runs fine when it does start. The truck has 179,000 miles on it and is in great...

Car DOESN'T SHIFTwhen its ON(Manual Trans). [ 6 Answers ]

When the engine is off, the car goes into gear, but when I turn it on and press the clutch it doesn't want to go into gear. I tried starting it while in first and reverse; the result is the car jumps then the engine dies. I do not know if my tranny is bad because it goes into gear when the engine...

2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe Trans/electrical? [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 2001 Honda Ex Coupe That Gets Regularly Stuck In Park. Have To Cycle The Ignition And "stomp" On The Brake Pedal Numerous Times To Get It To Shift Out Of Park. There Are Numerous Lights On The Dash On Also. They Are Random In Which Ones And Length Of Time They Stay On. I Don't Know...

View more questions Search