Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danigirl01mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Can my 2 yr. old son, her brother,& I or anyone asked to move ,in be forced to move
    My boyfriends sister asked myself,my 2 yr. old and her brother to move in with her because she was divorcing her husband & was afraid to stay there alone. Her husband broke in the house by smashing the glass on the inside kitchen door, the police were called and she went to court for an order of protection. She has since violated the order of protection and has been calling him . Since that time we have asked, begged and done everything possible to pacify her, except allow her to have her husband any where near the house. During this time she began dating a man and has been bringing him to the house. She has been with this man for a month. About a month ago she needed work done on the building she owns (and we live in), she knows my sister used to be a construction, sub-contractor, in Texas, where she resides. She had the work estimated & came to the conclusion that the work was way too much, she talked to my sister and offered a round trip train ticket plus what she would charge for labor to do the work, if she bought all the supplies an oral agreement was made and she sent for my sister. Now all the work has been done and she has refused to pay her. She drove my sister back to Texas, after arriving my sister took care of some business and Bonnie Calderone said she needed more work done and brought my sister back to Illinois with her as well as a friend, which Bonnie suggested. Now because she doesn't want to pay my sister, and she has had to quarantine her dog for biting me on my left arm,(I'm left handed), she has been trying to kick us out of the house. She says we have no legal rights and that she can kick us out any time she wants. She also says she doesn't have to pay for the work because she spent money on us during Christmas. She has been telling everyone in both families that she was paying my sister for work and how well the work had been don and bragging about all the things that were remodeled and fixed. She was able to collect rent from the first floor tenants because they refused to pay until the work was finished. Her actions are a result of all the reasons I have stated. She ihas a good paying job and money in the bank but says she isn't going to be able to buy groceries, cleaning products or anything else. She knew our situation from the beginning,she has a car and has refused to take us to any food pantries so we can at least feed our son. Can she do this to us? Just kick us out into the street. Do we have any legal recourse? She says we have to do what she says,we don't know anything about the laws or who to turn to for advice. I realize this is a long letter but I had to explain how we came to be here. WE DID NOT ASK HER, she came to us at our home and offered. Thank You EMAIL REMOVED
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 01:32 PM

You are tenants; therefore, you can be evicted as long as "she" follows the laws of your State.

Unfortunately, providing shelter for you and your children is not her legal responsibility - no matter what her situation is, no matter what your situation is.

The arrangement with your sister - if I am reading this correctly - has nothing to do with providing you with a place to live. As I said, she is the landlord; you are the tenant. She can remove you (because you don't have a lease) at any time IF she follows the law.

What is your child support situation? I realize you are stressed financially.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2010, 01:46 PM

Whether you are family or not is immaterial. Whoever owns the building can ask you to vacate according to the terms of your lease, or absent a lease, according to the laws of the state. If you refuse to vacate, then they can evict you.

As to the rest of your story, frankly I don't have a clue what you were saying, it was all jumbled and pronouns not clear as to who is who. But none of that really matters anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being asked to Move by Ex-Girlfriend [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I moved in with my ex-girlfriend about 3 months ago. I asked to rent her basement for 3 months. We never signed any agreements. Since my 3 months is about up she is now asking me to leave. I've had some difficulties during the 3 months which used all my cash. I need to know can I just be...

My fianc? Asked for space and asked me to move out. [ 11 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have one child together. She has a child with an ex. The child is autistic (found out this year). We have been fighting a lot because of the stress from therapy and all of his app. We have not been having sex a lot lately and not been getting along because she is having a hard time...

Making son & daughter in law move out [ 4 Answers ]

My 24 year old son, his wife & 1 1/2 year old baby have lived with me since Nov. of 2006, they were evicted from their apartment due to none payment of rent and had no where else to go so I (single mother who raised him) took them in. Since that period they have developed severe alcohol abuse...

Forced to Move [ 4 Answers ]

My family and I are renting a home, we have only been in the house since the beginning of June. Put down a security deposit along with 1st months rent. Now, we find out that the house is being foreclosed. We have been told to vacate the property. We have asked the landlord for the security...

Ex wants to Move & Take Son [ 4 Answers ]

I live in CA (with my wife of 7 years, our 2 children, and my step-son) and I have joint legal and 33% physical custody of my 8 year-old son with my ex-girlfriend (even though I get him a lot more than 33%, that percentage is what is on the court orders). My ex recently married a man in the Army,...

View more questions Search