Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
    What do you do when you want to plug in the motherboard?
    My dad is trying to built a computer by getting a motherboard and parts to make that computer. But how can we get the motherboard working if we can't download the software (because there is no computer yet)? How do people built a computer and download the software for it if the computer isn't finished?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
    You don't. You buy the mobo, get a CD with drivers for it, then buy all the parts that you require and assemble the whole thing. You can get the drivers for the other hardware bits from another computer and transger using a USB key. If Windows picks up your NIC right away then you can skip that part get all the drivers from the internet directly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2010, 11:26 AM

What software? First, I don't think anyone should be building their own computer without more knowledge about how they work.

On a motherboard is a BIOS chip. This chip controls the interaction between the processor and the other components of the computer, i.e. hard drives, peripherals etc.

So the assembly process works like this:

1) motherboard is installed in case.
    2) processor is installed on motherboard
    3) power supply is connected to motherboard and disk drives and hard drives
    4) video card is install (if not on motherboard)

The final step is to install the OS. So you connect the monitor, power up and insert the OS CD. You may need to set the BIOS to read from the disk drive first. The OS disk will then be read and prompt you to install the OS. After this is done, you can remove the OS disk and boot to the hard drive. You can then install additional software.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I change a 110v plug for a 240v plug [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 110 v henry hoover that has been used on construction sites as I have no longer need for it on site I was wondering if I can convert it to 240v so I can use it at home

Change 220v plug to 110v plug without harming appliance? [ 4 Answers ]

Can we cut off the 220v plug and connect a 110v plug and not harm the appliance? Or is there a plug converter available?

Can I plug my electric oven into a normal plug socket? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I plug my electric single oven into a normal plug socket?

12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump [ 5 Answers ]

Need to verify proper wiring for above 110v pool pump.

Replace 2-plug GFGI with a 4-plug GFCI? [ 7 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and my wife wants a 4 plug outlet. She currently uses one for the hair dryer and one to charge her electric toothbrush. The intent is to add a lighted mirror or something else that uses little power. Would it be OK to replace the GFCI with a 4 plug GFCI? I suspect...

View more questions Search