Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    williamemills41 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 12:02 AM
    Indiana child support college
    What constitutes going to college in Indiana. Can they do 1 class for 1 semester, take a semester off, and do another 1 class until the age of 21 to stretch out child support?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by williamemills41 View Post
    What constitutes going to college in Indiana.
    Hello w:

If you do what you propose, I'm sure your father will want to know too. I'll bet he won't like it and is going to have a judge decide.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 06:42 PM

In NY the child has to be a full time student.

The only thing I can find in Indiana is that child support stops if the child is not a student for a period of 4 months. I do not see the issue of full-time, part-time.

My suggestion would be to go back to Court for an explanation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 07:06 PM

It will be open to be discussed in court, normally no, plus the semester off would trigger a reason to end support.

Jan 18, 2010, 08:39 PM
    OK, in order, I am the father, and I think this is what they are doing. The only thing I could find was the 4 month provision (1 semester) with no "full time"stipulation. As for going back to court, I live in Texas, and they are in Indiana, with the child support order through Indiana. I cannot afford to go back to IN for a court case, and am trying to find if I have cause to contest the order on these grounds. We don't have an open line of communication going, and that will probably not change.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 08:58 PM

File a motoin to end the support order stating the facts, See if the other side objects.

And I guess you add up how much the child support is for the next ( how many years) is it cheaper to pay, or to file in court
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
    ... We don't have an open line of communication going, and that will probably not change.
    So how do you know the current college attendance situation? If you don't have all the facts, send them a letter demanding a certificate of attendance from a college.

Jan 19, 2010, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    So how do you know the current college attendance situation? .
    Facebook comments about full time job, concern over daughter driving in snow to work, but no mention from either daughter or mother about school. Not proof, but what 19 y/o doesn't say anything about the classes she is taking, when she posts everything else in her life?
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Facebook comments about full time job, concern over daughter driving in snow to work, but no mention from either daughter or mother about school. Not proof, but what 19 y/o doesn't say anything about the classes she is taking, when she posts everything else in her life?

You need proof - not mentioning College on Facebook is not legal proof.

Jan 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Not proof, but what 19 y/o doesn't say anything about the classes she is taking, when she posts everything else in her life?
    I understand that, which is why I said the above. I'm just trying to determine if there is sufficient justification to investigate these suspicions to determine if I need to find actual proof. If there is a full time provision, if they have to maintain a certain GPA, etc. As I only have another 10 months until she is 21, I would imagine with the time that it would take to get a court date, the money I would have to spend to go to IN as well as the time off from work, it would be cheaper and less stress to just pay the next 10 months. Thanks, everyone, for the info/advice.
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2010, 05:41 PM

What does your decree say? Support until 21 if she's a student or until she graduates from College?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support in Indiana-18 or 21? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Florida and his daughter lives in Indiana. She and her mother do not speak to us. The child has not been allowed to see her father for about 6 years. Her mother is remarried and they are on welfare, public assistance, etc. We were counting down that we only have 2 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Child support in the state of Indiana [ 1 Answers ]

College kid in the state of Indiana will be 21 can child support be stopped upon the kid turning 21

Indiana child support age [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to inquire about the child support age for the state of Indiana. The child has a learning disability. Does it stop at age 18 if the child does not go to college?:confused:

Indiana Child Support/UIFSA [ 13 Answers ]

Could someone please explain what an "UIFSA Petition to Register a Foreign Support Order" is about? I have done some reading about it online. However, it was not explained in general terms. I'm unexperienced with legal matters. I have a hearing this upcoming week regarding this, and am curious as...

View more questions Search